We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Water & Children

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bali Water & Children

Hi Bali lovers

I was reading about traveling with children and that you should prevent them from drinking the water to stop them getting Bali Belly - but my little man drinks bath water like it's going out of fashion!

Any suggestions on how to bath him safely or will drinking a little be okay? Can I treat the bath water with something or should I avoid baths completely? (he may still consume some in the shower).

Don't want him to get gastro or similar as he's not vaccinated against it so it could be nasty.

Suggestions most welcome!

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bali Water & Children

Hi there, we were in Bali in April this year and there was a young couple with 2 little girls. A 12 month old and a 3 year old. The 3 year old was really quite ill for a day or 2. The parents ended up taking her to hospital and she was diagnosed with a parasite infection and had to have antibiotics for 17 days. They believe the only way she could have caught this is through drinking the bath water. Just be careful its not worth having sick kids. I'm sure he will cope with a shower with mum or dad for a week or two.

Mandie_8

australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bali Water & Children

Maybe you could fill a large bowl and sponge bath him if you are concerned?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bali Water & Children

I guess my kids are pretty strange as they have never drank water from the bath.

Have you considered leaving the liitle one at home.

You could have a friend pop in every few days to check all was well.

And you could stay out at night and party.

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bali Water & Children

This just goes to show when my hubby says why on earth are you worrying about that, that someone else in the world is also worrying about it too. I asked him a few weeks ago what we would do with Mitchell as he always drinks the bath water (he is 1). Some useful tips here and I think I will use the shower. Kellie

Bateau Bay...
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bali Water & Children

I have taken my 2 children to Bali twice now, onto our third trip in March 2011. They are now aged 2 and 3 years old. I have always taken Milton Sterilising Tablets which you use for sterilising your baby bottles with, they kill bacteria etc. I put them in the bath (very shallow bath). You can get them from coles, woolies etc

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bali Water & Children

Travelling next week with a 15 month old who loves to drink bath water!!

I will be taking Milton tablets for shallow baths (as well as sterilising bottles, dummies etc), but another suggestion I have read, and will heed, is taking a small plastic hand held shower hose, the type that attachs to the bath tap. This way we should be able to wash the bits that really need it, whilst having contol where the water is going.

The other suggestion I read that seemed a good idea was to buy a cheap blow up pool and use cool boiled water in it (or perhaps a milton's tablet or two - 1 tablet per 2 litres of water is the recommendation), kids not only get a bath but a bit of fun as well! Perfect if you are staying in a villa or have an outdoor shower area.

17. Re: Bali Water & Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Legian