We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Water & Children

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bali Water & Children

Hi Bali lovers

I was reading about traveling with children and that you should prevent them from drinking the water to stop them getting Bali Belly - but my little man drinks bath water like it's going out of fashion!

Any suggestions on how to bath him safely or will drinking a little be okay? Can I treat the bath water with something or should I avoid baths completely? (he may still consume some in the shower).

Don't want him to get gastro or similar as he's not vaccinated against it so it could be nasty.

Suggestions most welcome!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Water & Children

What an unusual query! Other than gaffer tape, the first thing that springs to mind it to invest in some water purification tablets, available from chemists and camping stores. I couldn't guarantee this would work though, but a few in the bath could help minimise the risk.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Water & Children

I would only shower him and not use the bath at all.

Perth
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Water & Children

We were in Bali last year and we hammered it into our kids don't drink the water in the shower. One day I walked into the bathroom and both of them were drinking the shower water. I FREAKED out thiinking here we go 2morro will be fun and to our surprise they were fine!!! So I would just shower him and all should be ok. Our kids loved bali and ask all the time when are we going back. Enjoy your holiday

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,945 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Water & Children

i have spent the last 5 years with my youngest child avoiding putting any bali water near her mouth. it is not safe and not worth taking any risks. depending on where you stay there are a few hotels with their own water treatment plants. they say that the water is 'safe' to brush your teeth but even then we still use bottled water for that. the water is one of the main causes of tummy upsets. use the shower and avoid the bath since your son is one of those who drink the bath water. hopefully your shower will have a hand held shower fitting so you can control the direction of the water. we also used a small hand towel or similar to try and cover our daughters mouth while we washed her hair. anything to avoid swallowing any water.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Water & Children

Hi,

I took my (then) 5 mth old to Bali and just showered him - he couldn't really sit up straight then anyway.

We always use the tap water to brush our teeth (since '98/'99) and so far so good - I mean I didn't even know that people used bottled water to brush their teeth in Bali until I joined TA!...I wonder if there is a difference in the tap water (filtration process) in different hotels. villas, etc...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Water & Children

Hi,

Doe's your little one drink the bath water if it is bubbly or just when it's plain?

I think the simplest way to wash him in Bali is to have a very shallow bath and nothing in the bath that he can use to scoop water. With the weather being constantly warm/hot over there, he won't need lots of water to cover him up to keep him warm, just enough for a quick wash. You could also boil a couple of kettles full, mix in with some cold, this might help a little (if you had time) .

You can also try a shower visor for washing hair.

Mayby you can start training for Bali Baths at home now! (Bali Baby Baths Boot Camp) Have a sippy cup of water next to the bath at home and everytime he goe's to drink some water, tell him 'NO' and pass him his sippy cup! (you still hold on to it though) Surely you can wear him down by the time you get to bali!!! lol.

Cheers

Edited: 6:48 pm, March 31, 2010
Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Water & Children

LOL thanks guys! I know it sounds like an odd question but no doubt something many mums worry about with their little ones (his dad wouldn't have thought of it at all believe me!).

He will guzzle the bath water even with bubbles in it, in fact I caught him eating soap the other day (he's not so discerning with what he eats!).

He ignores my 'No!'s as he is only 15mo so it will be a matter of me physically stopping him. I will ask the places where we stay what the water quality is like and only pop him in the shower or a very shallow bath - good ideas.

Can always plug his mouth up with a dummy but for some reason he has this 'need' to drink copious amounts when in the bath :)

Perth WA
Level Contributor
447 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Water & Children

The only thing I would say - other than the great suggestions above - is that every hotel will say "dont drink" the water - but then tell you - yes - it is OK to shower/bathe etc. They probably wont understand when if you say your little one "drinks" the water when having a bath. They will think of drinking & bathing as two totally separate things and be confused.

The gaffer tape sounds the way to go!!!! LOL

Cheers Chenin

Melbourne
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Water & Children

LOL gaffer tape it is ;)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Water & Children

Interesting topic ... I've wondered if the hot water is actually okay considering it's probably been boiled in the hotels hot water system.

The hot water from the bath taps usually comes out quite hot so I would think that the heating process would kill a lot of the bacteria and amoeba. There may still be some bacteria but probably not as much.

As far as safe bathing goes, I would recommend filling the bath (to whatever level you require) with purely hot water (dont use the cold water tap) then leave the water to cool to a safe bathing temperature. Throw in a capful or two of Dettol antiseptic liquid which should also help reduce the bacterial levels (if any). The diluted Dettol should be harmless should the little one decide to take a sip or two.

Depending on your child's age you could also try having a bottle or cool drink sitting beside the bath so if they are thirsty they know to go for the drink and not the bath water.

:)

Get answers to your questions about Legian