We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones

Which Legian hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell phones

Is it better to use cell phone from homeland on internationl roam or purchase a prepaid sim card for the duration of your holiday while in bali.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cell phones

hi, if you want to get one here in oz try the following they often have good specials coles, woolworths, Big W, dick smith, k mart or target. If not when you are in bali either try the department store closest to where you are staying or if you are in denpasar there are heaps of stores there which sell phones.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cell phones

or maybe a friend or family member has an old unlocked phone they will lend you...or even try cash converters, they usually have a tub full.

To try to see if a phone is unlocked...you just put another sim card in and see if it works.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cell phones

Thanks for that advice. I will try cash converters if i cant get one i will purchase one in bali. its really only to ring my 13year old son, he didnt want to come to bali with us so i will need to ring him everyday. is hardys the best place in sanur we are staying at puri santrian for the first 3 nights then going to sbv. does circle k sell them, i think thats closer to the santrian than hardys.

thanks again

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cell phones

i haven't seen them at circle K but hardys have them. Just as you walk in the front door there are a couple of counters selling them. let them put the sim card in and set it up for you. keep an eye on the coles and woolworths weekly catalogues they have them for around $39. can't do much better than that

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cell phones

Hi, I have brought 2 unlock nokias, one for 59AUD and one for 69, both are unlocked, tried and tested. I brought one from JV HI Fi and the other from Dick Smith, i was in Dick Smith yesterday and they still had them.

Good luck

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cell phones

For anyone with 3 mobile, they will unlock for free. But ring them on landline so you can easily enter unlock code to mobile. They will ask for a reason, I just say to use local sim cards when overseas.

Perth
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Cell phones

This is really great info to read as we are due to leave for Bali next week and was wondering about the cost of calls. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost for someone from oz to call us in Bali and what the number pre-fix would be for them to call us? Thanks!

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cell phones

not sure about cost for them to call you but the number prefix is 62.

if texting +62 and don't forget to drop the 0 in both cases.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cell phones

It depends on their service provider, some mobile providers allocate a portion of “free talk” for international calls, i.e 3 mobile allow $100 but phone rates are high so it doesn’t talk long to use up. If friends back home have an unlocked mobile they could use a "prepaid international simcard" to just make international calls to you. They could try Lebara prepaid sim to ring you, rate to ring Indonesia 9c/min plus 25cents flagfall, text 15c. To ring mobile to mobile to Indonesia dial 0011 62 800 xxxxxxxxx. Instead of 0011 can use + symbol, just hold down 0 button on mobile, drop the 0 (1st number) when dialing. Ie 0011 62 800xxxxxxxx or + 62 800xxxxxxxxxx instead of 0011 62 0800xxxxxxxx.

Edited: 1:06 am, March 16, 2010
Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cell phones

I took my Optus prepaid phone to Bali in Feb and, after refusing to pay the high cost of international roaming, was surprised when I started recieving text messages from Aus. I then found that I could also text Aus. at a cost of around 50c through IndoSat.

I didn't try making a call though.

Get answers to your questions about Legian