We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Hello,

During my upcoming trip in September, I would like to know where to find authentic statues and masks from Papua.

Are there a few shops in the Legian/Seminyak/Kuta area, where prices are reasonable for the quality?

I am no art collector, just looking for a few authentic souvenirs.

Thanks!

1. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:24 pm, October 16, 2017
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,977 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

No self promotion or advertising please Samin S.

2 posts
3. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Thank you. I do opologise for it👏👏👏

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Hi quillama, Bali is not really the right place to buy art from Papua. You will see plenty of Sepik River type masks around in various shops and markets but 99% of them will be fake. You really need to know a bit about what you want to buy or you could get badly burnt.

In Ubud there is Ewa Oceanic Sepik Art Gallery that sell authentic pieces mainly from the Sepik area. Also when I was last at Kuluk Gallery in Ubud I noticed they had a few pieces from Papua/New Guinea.

I used to live in New Guinea so I am familiar with Papua/New Guinea art but some of the fake pieces made in Bali yesterday are very hard to spot if you do not know your product.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
206 reviews
5. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Hi,

Lynne clearly knows a great deal more about Papuan art than I do but there are quite a few shops selling tribal art in jalan Gunung Jaya Wijaya, Kerobokan which might be worth a look. I suspect that a lot of the stuff is recently made but if the price is right it might be worth exploring. There are many shops there so it's worth the detour.

If you turn into Jl Kunti 2 from Sunset road and keep going you will see them.

Cheers

Level Contributor
300 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Personally, I wouldn’t buy Papuan art outside of Papua. Better to go to Papua and buy it direct.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

Sure... there are places in Kerobokan. You will need a driver and they are out of the way....

8. Re: Where to find Papua art at reasonable prices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, yesterday
Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations