We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning!!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
243 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Warning!!!

Keep your wits about you guys. I had my mobile phone stolen after leaving Sky Garden at 11pm. I had my arm grabbed by an Indonesian guy and before I could do anything the phone was whipped straight from my pocket. I grabbed the guy round the neck that had held my arm, and by the time I turned round it was gone. There were a few local looking lads involved. I ended up having to get my hotel take me to a police station for a police report for my insurer. I believe this type of crime is rife in this area.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Garden Bali
Sky Garden Bali
1,537 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
8 replies to this topic
Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning!!!

Sorry to hear about this Dougie....I never take my phone anywhere when in Bali....hard lesson but good you made report for insurance...hope the rest of your trip is fabulous.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
PERTH
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning!!!

Sky Garden say no more. They prey on people leaving this place on a nightly basis.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Garden Bali
Sky Garden Bali
1,537 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning!!!

The breeding ground for robberies.

My husband was robbed there in 2011 and there were 8 of us! The locals (criminals) herded us into a line and picked on my husband at the back by the time we turned around they all disappeared except for the fellow that was being held up in the air by hubby. The security guards are in cahoots with them because they didn't want to know and the police just went through the motions basically saying claim from your insurance. Lesson learnt!

We have been back many times and now

- never walk on footpath where locals are sitting on thier bikes or standing on the pathway

- keep small amount of money discreetly on you

- only carry an old phone that your insured for

- don't walk home if your all intoxicated get a taxi - they prey on you when you have had too many

Hope this helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning!!!

The same thing happened to our son on his last trip to Bali 2 yrs ago, a group surrounded him and his mate on the pretence of friendship and one was trying to get his phone out of his pocket which fortunately he realised and yelled at them to get lost, well not exactly those words I'm keeping it nice on here, but unfortunately I think this is becoming a really ugly side to Bali and even though it happens not only in Bali I think it's far more prevalent and also the brazen manner it's done than other Asian countries we've travelled to

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning!!!

There seems to be an acho going on here. This has been happening in that area for years.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning!!!

It is not only groups of young males that pray on individuals to steal from them. Young women also work in groups, befriending, friendly chat, tie on wrist band etc., it is all aimed at confusing you, diverting you attention to something else and next thing their hand goes into your bag and they take phone, wallet, whatever. You have to always be on your guard and not fall victim to their cleaver tactics. Same with the unauthorised money changes who are well practiced, and happy to rip you off. Be aware at all times and don't display your valuables in public unless you are willing to loose them.

perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning!!!

All Of the above comments may be an echo for some people but it's a warning to those that think it will never happen to them. And yes females prey on people and the smaller money changers do also.

Basically be careful and you will have a great holiday! We go almost every year and sometimes twice a year and have had no problems since we take precautions now.

We are back at the isle of smiles again in a month 😁

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning!!!

The magic words... Sky Garden. .. they are probably employees.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Garden Bali
Sky Garden Bali
1,537 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Reply to: Warning!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Legian