We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

seattle
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling

We will be staying in Amed at Blue Moon Villas for 5 nights in August.

I know there is snorkeling from the beach at Blue Moon but have heard it can be a little rough.

I am traveling with my 12 year old son so would really like a bit of a calmer beach to snorkel from.

I have heard that Lipah and Jemeluk are nice choices.

My question is do any restaurants or hotels on either of those beaches rent lounge chairs for the day?

Thanks for any help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Blue Star Bungalow is on Jemeluk Beach. If you eat at the restaurant you can use their loungers on the beach which are shaded by lovely trees. The snorkelling is great directly in front of Blue Star and because it is a little bay there are hardly any currents. Lots of brightly coloured fish and coral to see without much effort (especially at the rocky point to the right of Blue Star). My 14 year old son had never snorkelled before and he had no problems. The restaurant overlooks the beach and the food is good, tasty and cheap. Say hello to Iluh and her staff. They are wonderful people.

seattle
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

Thank you gsibs that is exactly what we are looking for, perfect!

Thanks for the great info :-)

3. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:56 am, July 22, 2014
Edited: 12:56 am, July 22, 2014
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Blue Moon Villas are on Senang beach and the snorkelling is fine there. It is a beautiful place and you just cross the road to walk into the water for snorkelling.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

At Lipah beach there are young men who own and hire out sun loungers with mattresses and sun umbrellas, they operate at the southern end of the beach outside Pondok Vienna Beach. They probably congregate here because this is where the best snorkelling is accessed. I think the daily cost for two lounges plus umbrella is 75,000 rupiah.

Lipah beach is one of the few sand beaches in Amed, great place for kids.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

I second Blue Star Bungalows on Jemeluk Bay. We stayed there in May and the ocean is calm and clean, my 9 year old spent hours snorkelling, so much coral and sea life. There is a fantastic underwater temple to discover as well. The beach lounges are in the shade of a beautiful tree, order juices to drink whilst having a lovely full body massage from Iluh's sister-in-law. There are toilets in the cafe. The food is lovely, fresh and cheap. We ate our way through a lot of the menu. The best tip I got off TA before we went to Amed was to take reef shoes, the beach is made of hot black stones and is rough to walk on. You don't want to get a coral cut either.

Edited: 3:32 am, July 22, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling

We stayed at Blue Star in early June and the funniest thing I have ever seen was a European gent in little blue Speedos, snorkelling gear in hand, and arms and legs going every which way, flash past me at full pelt down to the water's edge. It was his way of avoiding contact with the black sand and pebbles. No doubt about it the black sand is hot, but once you get in the water it is beautiful.

8. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 24, 2015