We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Brisbane
Level Contributor
174 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Hi,

I know Amed is a rural village. Does any one know of any tourists who have contracted malaria in this area or the Japanese encephalitis?

The kids aren't allowed to have the JE shot and I don't want to give them malaria medication unless I really have to. They have already had Hep A, B and thyphoid. I will get the JE shot though, if it is prevalent in the area.

Thoughts?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Never hear of either of these diseases in Bali. I suggest you google it and see what info comes up. More likely to get dengue fever from the mosquitoes or rabies if bitten by a dog or monkey.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

No, I haven't heard of them either.

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
174 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Veg-Tony...the recommended vaccinations are listed here traveldoctor.com.au/files/…20Indonesia.pdf

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Adventureoverseas, this document is for Indonesia as a country.... it covers a very large and diverse country.

Bali is not in a Malaria zone, but dengue is present and the only prevention is repellent.

For JE, no idea frankly but never heard much about it related to Bali.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Malaria is not common in Bali and anti malarial drugs are not necessary. Some Health Agencies in fact do not recommend taking them for Bali.

Japanese Encephalistis is not prevalent in Bali although the odd case is reported every so often. To get a JE shot is totally your call, nobody can make that decision for you.

Take the usual mossie preventions and you should be fine.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

Adventuroverseas - mine was a tongue in cheek answer - I've been to bali more than 40 times a never had a vaccination, but I don't have kids to worry about either.

AmedBali
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

It's a good idea to use a repellant on your children or yourselves in the mornings and evenings... if you are bitten to relieve the stinging sensation and to prevent your children from itching use red tiger balm or something similar...I love stopping in Candidasa at Kodak Asril and buying tiger balm and a variety of Indonesian massage tonics and balsams...

8. Re: Malaria and Japanese Encephalistis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 02, 2015