We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gili T

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Gili T

HI Is it possible to go to Gili T from Amed with 1.5 year kid? Is the sea unusually rough and the journey is not suitable for babies?

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gili T

There is at least boat company operating out of Amed (see below). Unfortunately, until the day comes, it's impossible to know whether the ocean is going to smooth for your crossing or not.

www.gili-fastboat.com/gili-fast-boat.php…

vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gili T

Just back from Amed and Gili T. There are two fast boats that offer service between these 2 locations, Kuda Hitam and Amed Sea Express. Based on customer service experiences with both, I would recommend Kuda Hitam. The morning crossing from Amed takes approximately one hour. The day I travelled, the weather was great and ocean swells were only about 2 - 3 feet in the open water. Was still a 'very' bumpy trip and not very comfortable. Several passengers became sea sick and lost their breakfast. The fast boat trip is an adventure, but not for the faint of heart. There is also no dock at either location, with loading/unloading of passengers and luggage off the back of the boat in shallow water. I personally wouldn't take a fast boat with an infant. Although Gili T is an unusual and interesting location, the logistics of getting to/from there aren't particularly easy. If I were to do it again, I would spend more time in Amed and bypass Gili T.

Mentioned in this post
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Sea Express
Sea Express
101 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gili T

As I know, you can find two fast boat operators in Amed: Kuda Hitam and Amed Sea Express. Kuda Hitam has good customer service staff, they answer phone calls and mails immediately while it's harder to deal with Amed Sea Express. But I think Amed Sea Express has bigger boat. I'd prefer bigger boat for my trip but I also want to book fast n easy :D

Mentioned in this post
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Sea Express
Sea Express
101 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gili T

There is also another fast boat company in Amed, Pacha Express but I have no experience of them. I have travelled with Amed Sea Express several times but last year they were disorganised, the boat was overloaded, our luggage & contents were soaking wet & I would not travel with them again.

Mentioned in this post
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Pacha Express
Pacha Express
74 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Sea Express
Sea Express
101 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gili T

DO NOT get a boat from Lombok to Gili T! Terrifying and couldn't believe I put my children in that sort of danger!!

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Austin
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gili T

Do it on Pacha Express they are safe. Amed Sea Express and Kuda Hitam are old scary boats. The crew does not seem to care.

Mentioned in this post
Pacha Express
Pacha Express
74 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Sea Express
Sea Express
101 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Austin
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gili T

Actually there is a new boat (third option) Pacha Express. It's bigger, faster, safer, and the captain and crew are excellent. Both of the other boats need to become a reef... Very dangerous IMO

Mentioned in this post
Pacha Express
Pacha Express
74 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gili T

The journey is definitely NOT suitable for babies and young children. Between Bali and Lombok there can be a very big swell, when it becomes too rough the boat operators cut the engine and ride it out. It is much safer to fly and then arrange transport. I have heard of many near disaster boat journey's across this stretch of ocean, and know of a few instances where boats didn't make it at all.

Edited: 5:24 pm, May 11, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
9. Re: Gili T

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2015