We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Hey, hey!

Just considering a few days in Amed in May 2013.

Will be going with our 6 year old and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with beach snorkelling with this aged child? Is there a particular beach/cove you could suggest that you have had successful beach snorkelling with a child off? I'm thinking calmness of sea, depth of water so we can still stand (we her parents not her), sand or lack of plus not too hard to get to by walking from accommodation (Haven't even begun the accom. research yet!). How far out (roughly) would you have to go to see anything? We aren't expecting reef like in QLD but would love some fishy viewing.

We will both be with her assisting & she will have a 'bubble' to help her not drown.

Snorkelling isn't our only reason for going to Amed but I would like to know what to expect plus how to brief the “team”. Thank you so much.

Monowilli

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Suggest Lipah Beach. Calm shallow water. Walk in from beach. There were kids in the sea when we were there 6 weeks ago.

Australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Yes Lipah is what you are after stick to the far right end of the beach. We saw lots of local kids swimming here and having a ball.

Even though Lipah is a sandy beach I would still wear reef shoes.

You would need to walk out to waist depth for an adult before you see begin to see anything anything.

I suggest that you look at buying a sea window.

isnorkel.com/product/4036/Sea-Window-Jelly-F…

Stay at Coral View.

Bali, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Lipah Beach is a save place for your kid. The coral start grow at the depth 1 meter. The sea is calm. You can stay in Hidden Paradise Cottages, Coral View Villas or Pondok Vienne. They are located at Lipah Beach.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Hi,

We went there for snorkelling when or youngest was just five. She could not really swim, but stayed close to me, and had her plastic wings on (that's how we call them here in Holland). Went perfectly well, calm water. She was so enthousiastic, we had a great time there!

And imho it is the calmest place around Bali to snorkle (we went to Lipah beach).

Sylvia

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Thank you very much for the suggestion of Lipah beach. Beach sounds perfect! I'll have a look into the accommodation suggested - thank you so much! I might have other questions though.

How cool is that above water view thingy? Thx for the link.

Have a great day. Monowilli

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Lipah beach is one of the easiest for getting in the water & it's usually fairly calm. Hidden Paradise, Pondok Vienna & coral view are beachside.

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Thanks Ursie!

If it is such a great snorkelling beach I suppose there will be a few little restaurants & warungs to choose from for the 3 days we are there? Is there a general store in the vicinity at all? Just for Bintangs, water & snacks?

Oh, can't wait to start my accommodation search - thanks all for the suggestions.

Is there any other nearby must do's? Nothing too lengthy or far away as really that isn't fun for a little girl. I don't know what I'm thinking of -- maybe a must see view, restaurant or speciality shop/class. I'll do some further reading of the Amed forums and see what I find.

Thank you all so much : )

Monowilli

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Hi,

Maybe you can also have a look at Bali Bhuana Beach cottages, also at Lipah beach, rather new property right on the beach with good reviews.

Hope this helps you,

Sylvia

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,937 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

when my daughter tried snorkelling with us during our stay in Amed she was 6 at the time and she tended to enjoy keeping her feet flat on the bottom and looking down at the coral and fish. When we did try and take her out the current was too strong for her. Best to see how young children manage on the day.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amed beach snorkelling with 6 year old - good or bad idea?

Hi Monowilli,

Greetings from Amed! If you PM me with your email address I'll send you an accommodation list for Amed with website links & prices, I updated it recently. Also general info about Amed, activities etc. There are restaurants & warungs within walking distance of Lipah beach also a shop for snacks & drinks. I usually stop off at Hardy's store in Amlapura to stock up on crisps, biscuits, water, wine etc enroute to Amed. It's half an hours drive fom Amlapura to Amed.

Get answers to your questions about Amed