We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Which Amed hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Hi guys,

I will be traveling to Amed this week and was wandering does anyone have a list of good locations for snorkelling in Amed. I heard about Lipah beach and Bunutan corals but nothing too specific.

I will bring my underwater camera and am planning to take some nice photos of corals if i can. Help in any direction regarding this is much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Alex

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Alex the locals know the best spots, but some that we know of are the Japanese Fishing Wreck (everybody knows this), and out the front of the Divers Cafe which the locals should know as well. Apparently in front of Corel View Villas is very good to and if you head up to Tulamben there is another wreck off the beach.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Places to Snorkel in Amed:.

Infront of 3 Brothers/Amed Cafe/Kembali at high tide

Beach on left side at Life in Amed is good & just to right for fish & coral

Beautiful coral and fish at Bunutan but sometimes takes a couple of goes to find the right spot, a vague rule of thumb was where there were no boats pulled up on the beach the snorkelling was better.

Hidden Paradise Cottages is at Lipah, on the same beach is Pondok Vienna & there is fabulous snorkelling infront of this hotel. The beach is better than at Kembali in that it is not pebbly & is more white than black volcanic sand. However I always stay in the area around Kembali & love it there. Next is Lean beach, then Selang. It is less than 2km from Lipah to Selang beach, again fabulous snorkelling directly from the beach, but strong currents so sometimes visibility isn't good. Good in front of Good Karma Bungalows. It is approx 1km from Life in Amed to Selang beach.

There is another sandy beach & then the village of Banyuning with good snorkelling & the Japanese wreck in shallow water just a few metres from the beach. The Japanese wreck is only small, but well worth a visit. Although the beach is stony and it is a little difficult getting in the water. It is better to go there morning time.

Liberty shipwreck at Tulamben. The latter gets busy with divers too so maybe visit early or later in the day.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

My personal favourites are Lipah Bay, in front of Pondok Vienna bungalows and Selang Beach. Both these are sandy beaches, which makes it easier to get in the water with your snorkle gear.

Selang Beach is less touristy. It is a half moon bay. There are seldom strong currents if you stay within the bay..

Jemeluk bay, closer to Amed village, is another half moon bay which has a large coral garden.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Which of these areas has the best combination of shore snorkeling and restaurants/bars you can walk to? I'm not looking for night life, just somewhere to get dinner and kick back with a beer for the night. Also, a relaxing beachfront bungalow with hot water and A/C for under $100 USD per night would be a bonus. If we only have 8 nights, should we just split it between Ubud and Amed or should we try to split it like 3 nights Ubud, 3 nights Amed, and 2 in the Gilis (or elsewhere)?

I've already received a lot of feedback on this forum and still can't make up my mind. I have not asked about the specifics of Amed yet, so perhaps this will help.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Hi LA Fade Away, I have stayed at Kembali. I am a relative novice at snorkelling but wow was I impressed... it was a big experience for me and I just went out the front (literally) of Kembali. Next time I will defo bring those shoes you wear though because the beach is very stony which hurt one’s feet. We ate at restaurants you can walk to. We turned left out the front and found quite a few restaurants along the way. We also went to Sails one night – they pick you up. If you look at the recommended restaurants for the area on trip advisor they will all probably pick you up. In fact one we found we walked to took us home on the back of a motorcycle… just because…

Don’t know if he thought we had had too many bintangs!!!!!!

The bungalows were great. Very very clean, fresh paint. Good air con. Price was I think from memory 450,000 or 400,000 a night. If you book this place (and I imagine there are many good places in the area) ask for ones nearer the beach. Slight noise of road if you are further back but not too bad.

Three nights is probably enough although we certainly relaxed into the area. Depends what you want. I go to Bali a lot so can afford to stay places a bit longer and not feel I am missing out on seeing other areas. I guess you need to look at what you want. Amed and Ubud is a great combo. I have done that –perfect differences. But… I hear great things about the Gillies….Do you want to relax on your holiday or explore. If relax stick to the 2 places, if explore go for 3. For a greater contrast though If you do 3, maybe Ubud, Gillies and say Seminyak or Lovina or .., Depends on what you want to see.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Thank you Susise1611, Kimbali in Amed sounds great. I just sent them an e-mail. I think we definitely want to include Ubud and Amed. Just trying to decide what to do with the other two nights, either somewhere in the south or the gilis. We're also trying to squeeze in a stop in Java (Bromo & Borobudur) with our remaining two or three nights on our way to Singapore. We could fly over from either Denpasar or Lombok (or even do Java on the front end), so we'll have some exploring there too. Really looking for a nice mix of relaxing and exploring :) There are 11 nights to work with total. I'm sure we're trying to do too much. It's so hard to narrow down when you don't know when/if you'll get back to a place!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

So maybe 2 nights Amed and 3 the gilis??? I think defo be better to do 3 in Gilis as you would have experienced some of Bali with 3 in Ubud (thats if you are still keen on 3 places). Amed can be done in 2. If keen on snorkelling make sure you do the reccomended spots as above - US liberty, Japanese wreck, plus right in front of hotel etc

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

La Fade away - my sense of direction is hopeles. I mean we turned right out the front- if you are facing the road- to the eating places...

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

Sorry for cutting in the thread.

Coming in early Dec with my 2 teenagers and my wife. Will spend 3 days in Amed then 3days in Ubud.

Looking for a Best snorkelling spot for them in Amed with good visibility and calm current at that time (Monsoon period). At the same time I might do couples dive nearby.

I find some website (travelfish.org/blogs/…) suggesting that Banyuning offer the best spot. I am contemplating between Banyuning and Lipah areas for accommodation (low to mid range)

Anybody can advise? Thanks in advance

Edited: 5:19 am, June 18, 2012
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pinpointing Amed's best snorkelling spots ?

It's difficult to predict as to visibility in December, it depends on the weather & if there's been heavy rain.

Banyuning is probably the best snorkelling spot but it's a pebbly beach so more difficult for your children to get in the water & depending on the tide the current can be stronger than at Lipah. I'd say that Lipah beach which is sandy would be better for them. You could always visit other snorkelling spots whilst you are there, a local driver will not charge you very much & will wait for you whilst you snorkle if you wish.

Have also sent you a PM