We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money, buying sim card?

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money, buying sim card?

Ok, we are heading straight to Amed this trip. Therefore, do you think that it would be best to change money here in Oz (I'm guessing this is the least favourable option); at the money changer at the airport; or wait until we get to Amed?? Are the rates going to be much less favourable in Amed?

Also, we will be wanting to purchase a SIM card for our mobile - will we be able to do this once we arrive in Amed, or should we ask our driver to stop somewhere along the way for us to do this?

Only just over a week to go :-)

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Changing money, buying sim card?

Yes the fastest route is the inland route & it goes through Candidasa. It should take you maybe 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to Amed. I haven't had any problems with the ATM at Hardy's Amlapura before.

I haven't heard of any of my friends there having typhoid fever.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Changing money, buying sim card?

As a rough guide, would the difference between airport money exchange and money exchange in Kuta be about 200 rupiah per Australian dollar?

If that's the case I think I'll exchange most of my cash at the airport. The difference is only $25 for $1000 AUD (about 10 bintangs). I'm going straight to Candidasa from the airport tomorrow morning and I suspect the exchange at Candidasa would be less than that at the airport.

Garry

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Changing money, buying sim card?

Garry, we found the money changer directly opposite the post office in CD was pretty good.

Enjoy Candidasa and make sure you try Toke restaurant - very good.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Changing money, buying sim card?

Just got back and the exchange rate in Candidasa was the same as the airport and about 100 Rupiah less than Kuta.

Garry

15. Re: Changing money, buying sim card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Amed