We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tough to draft a South India Trip

Silchar, Assam...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tough to draft a South India Trip

Hi friends...

I was planning a 10 night South India trip by the middle of June 2014 with my wife and 4 yrs old daughter.

My tentative plan is >>>Trivandrum>>>Kanyakumari ->>> Rameshwaram>>>Madurai -> Munnar>>>Trivandrum.

I cannot decide where to exit ...Madurai or Trivandrum.

The last time I visited South India was in 1981.As far as travel between cities I don't have any idea now. Can you suggest me what will be good, train or cab.

Considering the places of importance please suggest me the night stay in each place.

Thanks.

Silchar, Assam...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Thanks for your feedback ...discoverindia_renuv.

The plan is very good but can it be covered within 10 days and with a 4 years old child. I think travelling will be too much.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Hi Skdc14,

Find out whether this plan suits you

Arrive Chennai/Madurai by flight, avail taxi service in Madurai as they will charge for two way cover Rameshwaram and Munnar and drop in Madurai

Then at evening catch Guruvayoor express train at Madurai junction and alight at Nagerkoil from there kanyakumari is just 11 km (the Guruvayoor express train will reach Nagerkoil around 10 pm)

Avail taxi service in Kanyakumari and drop at trivandrim en route cover padmanabhapuram palace

fly back from Trivandrum

Silchar, Assam...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

At Last I could draft a plan, hope you like it……

1st Day: Reach Trivandrum at around 9.00 am.

After getting fresh and breakfast start for Kanyakumari by cab which is around 85 km.

Enjoy the evening in the beach.

2nd Day: Visit all important places and temples. At Kanyakumari I have ½ +1+ ½ day and 2

nights. My view is that Kanyakumari beach is cleaner and lonely than Kovallam beach

so decided to spend more time at Kanyakumari.

3rd Day: At around 2.00 pm start for Rameshwaram by cab, reach at night and take rest.

4th Day: Explore all the important places at Rameshwaram the whole day. At night start for

Madurai.

5th Day: Visit all the important places in Madurai and night halt at Madurai.

6th Day: Morning after breakfast go to Kodaikanal and spend the whole day. At 4.00 pm start for

Munnar and night stay a Munnar.

7th Day: Munnar site seeing whole day. Stay at Munnar.

8th Day: After breakfast go to Thekkaday and spend the whole day and evening return to Munnar.

9th Day: Munnar site seeing whole day. Stay at Munnar.

10th Day: After breakfast start for Trivandrum. Stay the night at hotel.

11th Day: Trivandrum site seeing.

12th Day: Start for Kolkata.

Please suggest if there is any change required…..specially with respect to Rameshwaram and Trivandrum.

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Why don't you try exploring Meghalaya, which is not only close from Silchar but is also the right place to visit in June. Apart from Shillong-Cherrapunji, there are also many other offbeat destinations which you can explore.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

hi skdc14

I think it is better to skip Kodaikanal on day 6 both kodai and Munnar hill station cover Munnar only because as plan to visit kodai from Madurai by taxi 3 hours then from there to Munnar another 6-7 hours whole you will be traveling you could not enjoy

On day 6 from Madurai proceed to Munnar and stay there 6th and 7th and 8th night and

on 9th day proceed to thekkady halt on 9th night (do not come back to Munnar from thekkady it is waste of time and remember from Munnar to trivandrum it is around 330 KM

on 10th proceed to Alleppey/kumarkom and stay in houseboat

on 11th proceed to Trivandrum sightseeing halt and 12th fly back

Silchar, Assam...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Thanks @Bornav and @Alen_10 for your feedback.

Edited: 1:01 pm, April 22, 2014
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Friend,

Kovalam, Alleppey and Munnar are the correct choices if you chose to visit Kerala apart from that Ooty.

Have a nice journey!

Silchar, Assam...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

Hi Friends.... Reached home after a wonderful South India trip.. Thank you all for your valuable feedback.

I will soon post in details the places I have visited and my experience.

Bye.

19. Re: Tough to draft a South India Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 28, 2015