We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is best backwater ride

Which Alappuzha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ahmedabad, India
1 post
Save Topic
where is best backwater ride

where is best backwater ride in kerala

answer on beenasutaria@gmail.com

Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where is best backwater ride

Vembanad lake

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is best backwater ride

If you prefer house boats and travel in wide channel its in Alapuzha and kumarakom

if you prefer ride through canoe ride in narrow channel,munroe island,kollam is an option

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where is best backwater ride

Hi,

Alleppey is the best in Kerala

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where is best backwater ride

Alleppey & Kumarakom both are the starting-points of the boat cruises through the backwaters. Whether you choose alleppey or Kumarakom the scenes in the backwaters would be the same.

The feel and flavour of Alleppey and Kumarakom is different . Kumarakom is much more rural and has more luxury resorts than Alleppey. Alleppey gives you the facility of a town, even though your lakeside resort may be a short journey away. For getting away from the cacophony of a city Kumarakom is an ideal choice while if your are looking for choice, Alleppey would be the best. Alleppey is much busier than Kumarakom, and also has a wider range of accommodation, especially at the budget end. Much of Kumarakom’s accommodation is top end, and spread out from the town.

Alappuzha has the peculiar geographical feature of having the water in level with the land. This gives the advantage of getting a closer look at the village life on shore while on a backwater ride. Kumarakom has a spectacular lagoon to behold and coconut trees have become icons of Kerala tourism industry. There are bird sanctuaries to see along the shores and the village life has the attraction of simplicity and old-age world. There are bungalows that have now been converted into heritage hotels and ride of local houseboats called ‘Kettuvallams’ are indispensable for every traveler to Kerala.

Alleppey is the best if you want to stay overnight and Kumarakom is the best if you want to do a day cruise with a culture and village feel.

Edited: 9:42 am, February 04, 2014
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is best backwater ride

Hello,

Both Alleppey and Kumarakom enjoy the top position in travelers choice. To enjoy both the places go for a houseboat cruise from Kumarakom to Alleppey :)

And of-course the canoe cruise through backwaters of Munroe island Kollam is famous too.

Cheers,

Arun- Team Experience Kerala

Noida, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where is best backwater ride

Are you worry about where is best backwater ride then only kerala is a place where you can do back water ride and enjoy a lots. For any enquery you can contact ashlartours.com

7. Re: where is best backwater ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, March 21, 2014
NEW DELHI
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is best backwater ride

I booked through My Happy Journey as a part of a complete package. They booked my with "Skybird Cruise" On my complete trip of Kerla my worst experience was here. The back waters are great. Cool breeze at all times. But the boat was awful. Though it was a deluxe boat. Swarming with House lizards all over. Awful food (Vegetarian). Boat tilted on to a side so u tend to roll on to a side when u sleep. And to top it all the crew was highly non cooperative with only interest being to take you for Kerala Message. probably for commission they get. Water pumped directly from the lake for bathing. No RO or filtration.

Give this company a skip. Book only with a company who has a good reviews. Other wise stay in a resort and go for a day trip. Preferable go to Kumarakom and stay in a good resort for the night. and then ask them to arrange for a cruise before making payment. You can see the boat lest getting stuck like me. The cruise is on the same lake and Allepy and Kumarkon are two different stations where you can enjoy the back waters

Patna, India
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is best backwater ride

Hello Friends

I will be on a week long Kerala trip in October and planning to spend a night on backwaters.Kindly suggest among kumarkom and alaphuza.I will stay in a resort (Budget ip to 5K) and will do house boat trip for few hours and small boat through canals.

Thanx

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where is best backwater ride

Hi,

Look, decide on what you want. A full houseboat ride (from 12.00 to 10.00 hours) is better in Alappuzha where you might have a wider selection of houseboats. I would suggest a trip from Alappuzha to Nedumudi and Thakazhi which would give you great views of the best backwaters in the entire world. A daytime ride would be more enjoyable in Kumarakom side where you can watch rural Kerala. With your budget, Alappuzha is a better bet than Kumarakom which has more high end resorts. In Alappuzha, you also have a beach which is an attraction for children and adults.