We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Hyderabad, India
1 post
Save Topic
transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Hi,

I am planning a tour of kerala in the next week. can anyone please tell me whether i can take an economical boat ride from thekkady to alleppey directly? thank you

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
14 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Thekkady is a hill station and hence direct Thekkady- Alleppey boat ride is not possible. You can travel from Thekkady to Kottayam (around 100 kilometers, road condition good). If you need to be too economical you can reach the Kottayam boat jetty and get into a passenger boat( Operated by Water Transport Department, Government of Kerala.. may be around Rs. 10 to 15 for the trip 30 km trip).

I am not exactly sure if tourist boats operating from kottayam to Aalappuzha. I'll check anyway.

If you need to have a pleasure trip, go to Kumarakom from kottayam ( less than 20 kilometer by road). There are house boats at Kumarakom and also private trips to Alappuzha

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
854 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Hi

You have boating options in Thekkady (Periyar) and Houseboat at Kumarakom or Alleppey and Economy boat Ride from Kottayam to Alleppey as mentioned by Wilson.

Regards

Sam

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

As said above, the nearest place you can find a transportation boat would be Kottayam.

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

As said above there is no direct boat service available from Thekkady to Alleppey

But if you wish to take the Kottayam - Alleppey boat ride the details are here.

Kottayam - Alleppey public boat service starts at Kodimatha jetty , 3 kms from the railway station . you can use the prepaid rickshaw counter at the Kottayam railwaty station to reach the boat jetty

The boat takes 2 & 1/2 hours to reach Alleppey covering a major portion of paddy lands, village and lake portion of the backwater>

The boat timings from Kottayam to Alleppey

11:30AM 1 PM, 3:30 PM 5:15 PM

The above is the most economic cruise option , if you want to cover the Kottayam - Alleppey region

The other options are to hire boats on hourly basis when you are in Alleppey

The cost for a motorboat is Approx INR 350 per hour and for a Shikkara would be INR 400 per hour

there is another boat cruise started by the Kerala state water transport department named 'SEE KUTTANAD' cruise , which starts from the main boat jetty ( Next to District tourism promotion council ( DTPC) office) in the centre of Alleppey town. The cost per person INR 25 for the upper deck , that is reserved for tourists

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Hi,

Thekkady to Kottayam, Transfer to Manipuzha boat jetty,where you will get Alleppey boat service. Ticket fare is just Rs.10/- per head.

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

Hi

Changanassery Krishnapuram boat is another option. From Kavalam you will get Alleppey connection boat, ( I think my memory not corrupted)

BR

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
14 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

I think we have given him all the possible options... Happy holidays ahead dryaseen.. Hope u post reviews about the tour later...

8. Re: transport from thekkady to alleppey via ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, June 21, 2013