We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long on a Houseboat?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How long on a Houseboat?

We have 3 nights free to spend on a houseboat in Kerela, we want to explore and relax. Is there enough to see to go for a 3 day trip?

Thanks

Stephen

Varkala
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

Hi Stephen,

I haven't done three days on a houseboat but I always wish I was on them for longer than 1 day. This way you really can relax, unwind and enjoy the backwaters without knowing that at 9am the next morning you need to be up, showered and dressed and eaten breakfast as the boats have returned back to Allepey.

My customers always speak well of having been on houseboats for 2 days, for the same reason - you can properly relax.

Enjoy!

Billy

Rock n Roll Cafe

Varkala Cliff

Dubai
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

Hi UK77777777.......

If you are nature lover a day trip house boat is more than enough (5 to 6 hours).

if you want to relax you may go for overnight houseboat. The boat will be on halt nearby village.. no things to do around.

We took a day trip.

thanks

sruesh

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

We had one night on the houseboat, very relaxing, but I'm not sure that i would want three, although you can get off along the way.

Vaikom, Kerala...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

Hi

You can take a ride from kollam to alleppey and then back to kollam or vice versa

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

I wonder whether those people recommend to spend only 1 night ever travllled out side Alleppey by houseboat!! You have eaten a mango and recommend not to take an apple.

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

Dear Stephen,

I can't stay 3 day is enough because backwater is very long & beautiful . Along with your houseboat choose canoe boat ride also to explore the narrow canals of the alleppey backwaters

Thanks,

Binu

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

Thanks for all your responses everyone

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

If you want the backwater experience its better to go for a long day trip on a small motor boat or a canoe.It will be hundred times cheaper and you can have a true feel of the backwaters by entering the narrow canals. I have stayed on a houseboat and did a number of day trips as well.I will choose the day trip any day over a houseboat and stay in a good resort for the night,rather than being stranded among mosquitoes in a remote village

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
81 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

House Boat stays can be from 01 night to 04 nights depending upon your travel plans. You could start from Alleppey/Kumarakom and go upto Kollam/Quilon and can come back. Its an amazing experience if you love nature and want to relax and get away from your busy schedule of life. The experience is like time standing still. Most important thing to look is to find the right boat.

House Boat - You need to be careful while selecting your boat. You need to have the right kind of staff on board, clean and fresh rooms plus good food. There are Single Bed Room boats from 6000 to 20000 per night in Alleppey.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long on a Houseboat?

This whole "life on a boat for 3 days" thing doesn't cut much ice with me. Mostly you are just sitting around in cramped quarters while someone else does all the interesting (as well as mundane) stuff of managing the boat, cooking, anchoring etc. Zero privacy as well. It would be less boring if you could actually work and manage the boat; then you don;t get so bored. I was ready to leave after 4-5 hours; we loved the scenery and the villages but it is not something I want to do for 3 days. I guess I am not a boat person.

Edited: 12:48 pm, December 07, 2011