We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Bars are they available to tourists

Which Alappuzha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Local Bars are they available to tourists

Can anyone help we plan to visit Kerala in February/March time - are there local bars that you can go into or is it just a case of the hotels where you can have an alcoholic drink

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

Hi there,

All hotels above 3 star category can have options to take up a bar licence. There are lots of bars around in kerala.

Thanks,

George

Indyholidays.com

Digboi, India
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

Rather than local bars you should go for a Toddy Shop if possible that too if you are going on a houseboat cruise. This was recommended by our tour operator Iris Holidays as an alternate option when we asked them about whether it will be possible to take alcohol on houseboat. Me and my brother in law thoroughly enjoyed it and they served some delicious fishes and roasted small oysters (They call it kakaakaa or something). Would recommend you to try that out as well :)

Bansko, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah, Bansko
Level Contributor
899 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

I wouldn't say there is an abundance of bars, however we found 3 or 4 in Fort Cochin. The toddy "shacks" are really not bars for tourists, they only serve toddy which is fermented coconut brewed daily, it's pretty strong stuff but worth trying.

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

Hi

If you mean bars such as what we have in the UK or like the ones found in many hotels then no there are no local bars. There are numerous beer and liquor shops where you can buy alcohol to take to your hotel/guesthouse and you can always try a drink at a Toddy Shop.

PDizzy

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

Hi there,

for many years i have travelled the backwaters of alappuzha, and for many years i strived to find the elusive indian bar type, the type frequented by locals, with no toilets, & often hardly any lighting. .. try to find yourself a place by the river, mix with the fishermen, it wont be long before you are shown one of these discreet dilapadated shacks hidden amongst the palms, kingfisher well below 50rps, & some potent spirit too. friendly, but not for the faint hearted.. we may meet there my friend.

6. Re: Local Bars are they available to tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 27, 2012