We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabbit Island Review

Which Kep hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Rabbit Island Review

We spent the morning on Rabbit Island. We caught the boat from Kep which took less than 30 minutes. Overall the island was worth the trip but as far as islands or beaches go, it is really quit average. We didn't eat there and the restaurants didn't entice us in anyway. The water was clear and warm and we spent our time bobbing around in the warm sea in inner tubes which we rented for a dollar each. The beach itself was thin and the sand was gritty and almost dark. What I did enjoy was sharing the morning with picnicking Cambodians enjoying their annual holiday. The accommodation looked very basic and to be honest I'd be more than a little concerned about hygiene if I was eating or sleeping there.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabbit Island Review

Nice report that is pretty much my take on it after a recent trip except when we went the sea looked really murky and there were lots of washed up large jelly fish type things so we didn't get in the water.

We did eat there and actually the squid baguettes were one of the best things about the trip.

We got'stuck' there all day our boat which was supposed to be able to bring us back any time we wanted, in the end said we couldn't leave before 4 pm.

Really fun trip back though - everyone got soaked.

Edited: 3:52 pm, October 16, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabbit Island Review

Good report, we have stayed there twice and have found the huts to be clean but as mentioned above very baisc. We did one trip without a bathroom and one with and all facilities were adequate.

These features are what we love about Rabbit Island, the basic ness of it all, but it is not for everyone.

Crab is completley fresh there, taken directly out of the sea! We have eaten and drank there on our two overnight trips and one day trip and not had any issues.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabbit Island Review

Must depend on time of year for the water conditions - the gulf was clear and beautiful when we were there in January '11. The main beach (where the boats arrive) isn't much to write home about, but around on the other side of the island there is a much nicer beach to be found. We spent the night - basic yes, but very clean and have to say it was most likely the most comfortable bed I slept on in a trip of six weeks. Best of all, the absolute quiet when the generators shut off about 10pm - and waking up to the crowing roosters and quacking ducks that wandered around. Food was great - we spent a total of three days there (one night) and ate all meals at the stands in front of the cottages we stayed at - absolutely fresher than fresh. We enjoyed watching the groceries delivered via boat the last morning we were there. Not for everyone, but truly a slice of life in Cambodia. We've heard rumors about large hotels going in - so hopefully will be able to return before that happens.

4. Re: Rabbit Island Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kep