We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in Kep

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
things to do in Kep

It's Owen here from Jasmine Valley Eco-Resort in Kep. Somewhere here on TA I saw that there was nothing to do in and around Kep. I'm just wondering if travelers have any good suggestions of things to do here. I have a few ideas, birdwatching for one, but I'm wondering what folks are already aware of...

Ashmore ,Queensland
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: things to do in Kep

What else do you do when you travel,,,eat,drink,play cards,read,,go for a walk,,swim,,,hehe..but seriously,,some of the best places i've ever stayed,,i didnt need to leave the accomodation much...create stuff at your resort..

Travelling can be tiresome,,and when you find i nice place to chill,,you stay longer

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: things to do in Kep

Hello Everyone,

(Sorry if this posts as a duplicate. I forgot to sign in with a first posting.)

I've just returned from a trip which involved a stay for my two sons and I of several days at the Jasmine Valley Eco Resort. I intend to write a more in-depth review in the hotel section of our time at the Jasmine Valley with Owen, his wife Jasmine, their lovely two year old daughter and their staff, but I do want to address here some of the implications put forth on this thread, because it would be unfortunate to allow them to color future reader's perceptions about Owen and his resort. Although I can understand how someone might be suspicious of Owen's intentions in asking the initial question, I must say that those would be completely unfounded. Owen has created a warm and unique resort that is both well thought out for guests and committed in a practical way to the preservation of the surrounding habitat as well as the advancement of his staff. He is committed to a sustainable, yet comfortable oasis in the jungle within which he is working to increase the skills of his staff, so they will be able to grow in their careers and offer much needed economic support to their villages. As we were leaving, he was preparing to shut down the entire resort in order to accommodate a free week's stay for eighty orphans, a surprise gift for these kids. In short, Owen's goals clearly reach beyond the self serving.

Our experiences of Owen and all his staff were completely and unequivocally positive. Our only real difficulty came about because we didn't want to leave. I spoke with Owen about his intentions in posting the question he did and am quite convinced he did so out of a spirit of wanting to better serve his guests. His resort is really quite new, and he is still learning about the area.

On a practical note, if you are considering staying at the Jasmine Valley, it is at the end of a 2 km dirt road, which might give an unseasoned traveler some trepidation your first time in. If you come in by tuk tuk, you also probably will have to walk the last few meters. However, I want to emphasize that this small inconvenience only serves to increase your experience of the delightful resort you will find at the end of the road. Owen also has an iphone and he is available to have you picked up in town when you arrive.

Regarding the "what to do" question, we did not get to Rabbit Island but did visit one of the caves and pepper farms. I also enjoyed visiting some of the abandoned mansions. I think Kep is poised for some changes. There is work being done on the roads and there are many empty lots which have been surrounded by nice rock walls. This indicates to me that some folks with money are staking their claims. Speaking of the road from Phnom Penh to Kep, we came in on a bus and, in order to guarantee making our plane, returned by car. In terms of the bumpiness of the roads, the bus absorbed the shocks better. The ride in was between 4 and 5 hours. The car was, of course, faster. If I remember correctly, we were at the airport in 3.5 hours.

Get answers to your questions about Kep