We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kep/Kampong Ideas

Seattle
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kep/Kampong Ideas

Hello!

I am planning a short excursion to Kep after attending a wedding in Phnom Penh in November.

Currently, I am planning on staying at Knai Bang Chatt for a couple of days. Wondering if anyone has stayed there and what their experience was?

Also, any ideas on interesting things to do while staying in Kep? Anyone gone up to Bokor Mountain lately---I know they've been fixing the road up there (or the road was closed in April 2009)??

Thank you!

Lisa

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
197 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

A few weeks ago while in Kampong Thom I met an English girl who'd hiked Bokor Mountain. She said the road, still closed, was treacherous even on foot.

The nearby pepper farms around Kep were interesting.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

We were there nearly a month ago - Sok Lim Tours told us that they could get us up to Bokor for $150, from the way their email was worded I assumed that they were going to pay some people to allow us to use the road. About two days before we were due to go up they sent an email saying that it was not going to be possible but that they could lead us up on a hike (for the same price). Thankfully I didn't pay any money up front and needless to say we didn't venture up to Bokor.

We stayed at Les Manguiers in Kampot and day tripped to Kep (about $10 return and 40 minutes by tuk tuk). Le Manguiers was a piece of paradise with individual wooden huts by the river - beautiful scenery all around. River swimming and kyaking. It was a bit out of town on a bumpy dirt road, but we thought it was worth the effort.

Kep was nice for a day trip but there wasn't enough there to make us want to stay overnight.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,973 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

We have just booked 4 days at Kep Lodge for April next year. the idea of lazing round/in the pool, doing almost nothing, eating fresh seafood, reading in a hammock is very appealing. We intend to do a day trip to Rabbit island but otherwise, just 4 days of R&R

We booked via email and Dan at Kep Lodge was super quick with his replies and it was all so easy.

Check them out

http://www.keplodge.com/index.html

happy planning

helen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

Howdy ~ We have just returned from Cambodia and stayed 6 nights in Kampot and had a good look around, enough to fall in love with it and have already booked our returns for January.

We stayed at the Rikitikitavi in Kampot and did the following

Day trip to Kep and Koh Tonsay - We will stay a night on the island this next trip.

Tuk Tuk with Borey from the Riki for the day and went to Pepper plantations and Cave Temples

Hired push bikes and rode around the Rice paddies, villages and salt farms for a day.

Hired Motor Scooters for two days and just headed off in any direction, back to Kep - swim at the beach - the Tek Chhouu rapids - lovely lyng in teh river in an inner tube drinking iced coffee and eating fruit! worth a few hours in teh hot weather!

We also did a boat trip and if oyu would liek the wonderful mans email address to see what you can plan, please let me know! He's an Aussie (Darren) and we had a wonderful day out fishing with him, net fishing, eating, drinking, swimming a diving for pippi's. GREAT DAY!

Bokor was shut while we were there, so did'nt have that oppurtunity. Maybe in Jan.

Hope this helps and P< me if you would like to contact Darren.

dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

Just spent 4 days in Kampot (Bodhi Villa) and 4 days on Rabbit Island... Absolutely fell in love with this part of Cambodia and already planning to get back there next year! Get yourself a motorbike and discover fish island / Kep and all the surroundings.

Ulladulla, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

All the ideas here are great. I can also recommend Bodhi Villa, I have stayed there several times and always find it hard to leave because of the atmosphere. I can also recommend a new wine bar that has opened up in town. 'What's Hot in Kampot' it has a good selection of wines and a really good atmosphere. They can also tell you about going up Bokor. They have a tour company so I am sure they can help you out with an itinerary. Kampot is a lovely riverside town with some of the friendlist people in the country. Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

thanks for the info on the new wine bar! Will ckeck it out in Jan.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

Hi Ann, We plan to be in Kampot in March and would appreciate the contact details you mention for boat trips.

Regards

Chris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

Hi Ann, We plan to be in Kampot in March and would appreciate the contact details you mention for boat trips.

Regards

Chris

10. Re: Kep/Kampong Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kep