We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Kampot

Kampot- weekend trip from SIN

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

Will be in Singapore for a month working, but have a long weekend end of March, wanting to go back to Cambodia.

Thinking of staying at Rikitikitavi in Kampot- arriving Friday around 2pm ( possibly earlier?) by taxi, returning directly to PP airport Sunday leaving Kampot around noon?

So ~48 hours- how would you allocate my below list of places I'd like to see- in order of preference:

-Starling farm (or La Plantation?)

-Kep- crab market/lunch/salt flats (day trip for Saturday?)

-Fish Sauce factory

-Bokor Mountain (thinking I won't have time for this)

I'd like to stock up on pepper- blew through some I bought in PP (sourced in Kep) Nov '14 and craving it since.

Plus any souvenir/NGO shops you'd recommend, I'd love to hear. So far just have 'Tiny Kampot Pillows' on my list.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
83 reviews
60 helpful votes
1. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

On the corner of East Street and Riverside Road you’ll notice Kampot Souvenirs. This is the only place in Kampot that I’ve ever been able to purchase one of those “must have” mementos, this being a tee-shirt with the old bridge pictured on the front of it. I believe that the woman’s husband, a tailor in one of the old/but new market buildings makes them. They also sell pepper grinders if you’re interested.

The Fish Sauce Factory, I feel this would be best visited after you dump your stuff off at Rikitavi, giving you the rest of the day to, well rest.

Saturday morning after breakfast arrange for a tuk-tuk to take you on a drive via the, not so Secret Lake out to Starling Farm and then onto Kep for lunch.

The Salt Flats, your driver will know what time they do tours if this is what you want, if not there are several interesting, rural side roads closer to town that will lead to collection ponds and storage sheds.

That leaves an early morning visit to Bokor, this should be arranged the night before.

Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17,526 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

Hello FoggyBridges,

Just a couple of observations.

Please be aware that the Rickitickitavi has only seven rooms, is very popular indeed and books out early so as we are already 1/3rd of the way in to February you had better confirm your bookings immediately if not already secured.

Starling has gone up market over the past two years and, amongst other changes, has renamed itself to Starling Ridge Plantation and Resort and offers Pepper Plantation Bungalows. It is now a very nice and tasteful oasis among the pepper vines. A great place to visit and wander and to have a nice lunch at these days.

Psar Kdam/Crab Market at Kep is at its best and most interesting early in the morning and certainly so before 07:30 AM after which it tapers off a lot.

As recently posted, the Fish Sauce Factory is less than a ten minute tuk tuk ride from the Rickitikitavi.

Best regards. Ian

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
51 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

leave Kampot early morn and drive to Bokor and than on to Kep It will take 3-4 hours or so

its 32 kms from the turn off to the top and a great new road with fantastic views

kep for lunch, drive around an see the abandoned villas

Than back to kampot is only 30 minutes

Crab market 30 minutes is more than enough, its not that big and its fine to see from 7-12 than starts to tapper off a bit

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

Thanks all!!

Ian- I won't be able to make reservations just quite yet, in case the Riki is closed- do you have another recommendation?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17,526 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

Hello FoggyBridges,

Rather than me making a recommendation it's far better that you look at some places within your budget and read their reviews. I'm fed up recommending places that to me are perfectly acceptable only to have others subsequently trash them. As the saying goes...One man's meat is another person's poison...

Best regards. Ian

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN
Save

Ah I understand! Although, I have never trashed any place! But I tend to do a lot of research, so know what I'm getting into ;)

7. Re: Kampot- weekend trip from SIN

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 13, 2017