We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kep or Kampot

Which Kampot hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kep or Kampot

Hi,

We are grey nomads who do heaps of backpacking, our son suggests " Kep" but would other travellers in their late 50"s suggest - Kep or Kampot ?

Appreciate any suggestions

We like to walk everywhere and visit markets, beaches etc

cheers

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
392 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kep or Kampot

We are heading to Cambodia & vietnam in 5 weeks,sort of flash packing . We are going to Kampot for 4 nights stopping at the riki,after extensive research I thought that would suit us and just do day trips from there ( Kep, Bokor hill, etc) , we can't wait. Happy travels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kep or Kampot

If you like to walk everywhere then l suggest Kampot.

Kep is a great town, very spread out and you can still walk about it, just you'll do some distance. Beaches are'nt great swimming ones, but can still swim if you are keen. the majority of tourists to this town swim in the pools at their resorts!

Kampot - everything within walking distance and hire push bikes and get out into the villages too, they are an easy ride.

We have had six trips to the area now, and another booked for July. We stay at the Rikitikitavi however there is also other excellant accommodation in town. As David above has mentioned - day trips to Kep can easily be organised via Tuk Tuk - about 30 minutes away. A car is required to go up to Bokor or a motor bike, no Tuk Tuks go up there.

And l am in my 50's too and we flash pack these days!

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kep or Kampot

Kep not much for walking, just a riverside, if you get biciyles ($4 day) however... there is magnificent "hostel" with villas on stilts over the water at Kep on teh river, across from town and about 4 kms Sth. Hire a tyre and float down teh river with a glass of wine in ur hand... there's a, mad-bad "interactive zoo" be careful how intercative you get:lol. Heartbreaking and wonderful place... and the mysterious and spiritual Bokor hill just past the zoo.

... as well as a beach about 10 ks out.

Kampot is lovely and rainforested, with some old KR history that you have to dig for to see/hear about. Riki-Tiki is good advice ita great hotel with lovely food.

Tomartoe-tomaitoe...do both or toss a coin.

australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kep or Kampot

Thankyou for your great advice

Was looking for something a bit cheaper than rikitikitavi - $43 a bit pricey,have found cheaper places $20 and $25

Has anyone any recommendations??

cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kep or Kampot

Mea culpha is a great choice,Not on the river but once street back, very quiet.

Level Contributor
65 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kep or Kampot

Hiya, Looking forward to seeing DavidA and AnnG here...really sorry we will not get to accommodate you at Rikitikitavi Aussietravel.

Mea Culpa would be a fab choice, lovely place, great owner and staff with delish pizza...you cant go wrong!

There a few lovely places up river which will be very peaceful, rural and on the river bank. they are a few kms out of town however. Have a look at the B and B section of this site for the listings, or Ganesha Eco Resort which is listed as a hotel. All are good choices.

There are also plenty of options in town, on the riverside they are all similar to Rikitikitavi in price, though Kampot Riverside Hotel (new, clean, good) may have something a bit cheaper. Please PM me if you need any more reccos!

Hope you enjoy Kampot, we love it.

toodle pip, Dom

australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kep or Kampot

Thank you for replying rikitikitavi . I guess I am reading your prices correct -$43 a night for a double

Do you have anything cheaper as EVERYONE is recommending to stay at your place

There are four of us - we require two rooms in August

Cheers

Level Contributor
65 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kep or Kampot

Hiya,

Yup, it is 43usd a night for the doubles. We do have a family room with 1 big and 2 single beds, or a twin with 2 double beds in as possible options for you.

All the best

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kep or Kampot

Hey Aussietraveller52

"Has anyone any recommendations??"

I suggest you have a look at NY NY on guesthouse road, It's a comfortable stroll to the river. The rooms are near new and for $15 a night for a double, a bargain.

Have a look at this it'll give you a better idea.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g608455-i14513-…

We'll be back in July for a couple of weeks.

Have fun

Level Contributor
65 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kep or Kampot

I agree with inaspin, NY NY is a fairly new place on "backpacker street", and has very good value clean rooms and helpful staff. Excellent bargain option and Id happily stay there.

Get answers to your questions about Kampot