We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i go to Kampot?

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
66 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
should i go to Kampot?

trying to make a decision about where all I want to go in cambodia in dec./jan. I was wondering if you could give me a better idea about kampot. What is it like there? I've read some people's comments about it being their favorite place...why? Thanks! mb

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should i go to Kampot?

Its my Favourite place because its calm! quiet, chilled, l can walk around the town so easily. Great places to stay, eat and drink. And the people are so welcoming and friendly.

Fav things to do is to hire push bikes or Moto's and head off for the day exploring and riding through villages, taking great photos, stopping to chat to people on side of the road and waving to all the kids!

Day trips to Kep for a meal at the crab shacks, kayaking and swimming in the river, but mostly just chilling out watching the world and town go by!! After a few days there you feel like a local!

But if you are in to a fast pace, party scene, even though there is live music in town and the Bodhi Villa puts on a good party l hear! It just may not suit you!

Edited: 2:02 am, August 25, 2012
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should i go to Kampot?

My answer is YES!

Everything AnnG has said is so true. We had 4 days there last month and loved the whole area. Only thing I would add is a sunset boat trip with Darren from Kampot dreamtime boat tours...was a definate special moment of our holiday.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should i go to Kampot?

Yes Georgette, Darren puts on a good BBQ and glass of wine, we have done many trips with him, fishing, swimming and a lot of eating and drinking!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,276 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should i go to Kampot?

another vote for yes. and if you are in need of a fix of westen food, head to Mea Culpa for Ben's wonderful pizza or the Rusty Keyhole for ribs & a beer.

Mentioned in this post
Rusty Keyhole
Rusty Keyhole
902 Reviews
Kampot, Cambodia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should i go to Kampot?

My wife and I recently based ourselves at the Bokor Mountain Lodge which is in Kampot and hired a motorbike US$5 per day and then just wandered. Check out the Market and go up to the Train Station and you will see a nice new railway line and the old station. Apparently work has come to a halt and the contractor from Australia has pulled out because of non payment for work. Bit of a shame

Mentioned in this post
Bokor Mountain Lodge
Bokor Mountain Lodge
203 Reviews
Kampot, Cambodia
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should i go to Kampot?

I am another Kampot fan. it just has a wonderful vibe. Cool laid back town.

Regards

Suzi

in the herbal...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: should i go to Kampot?

It depends a lot of what you are interested in !

If you like a chilled place , beautiful ambiance at the delta of a river with a relaxed female energy in the vegetable and fruit garden of Cambodia with the best quality food,the best pepper in the world, less beggars than in other places and not that much drunken people, partys and prostitution like in Sihanouk ville, but fresh air from the sea and the jungle nearby, the best pepper in the world, interesting old french colonial architecture than you are best in Kampot. It is the favorite place not only of the King ...

What are you looking for ?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should i go to Kampot?

Beautifully written Akoo.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
705 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should i go to Kampot?

Akoo and Ann, if we had not already booked to go to Kep and Kampot in Jan, your posts would have sold me. So looking forward to it

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: should i go to Kampot?

Mmm, i'm thinking l should stop selling it and keep it fro myself!!! Don't want it to change.

Get answers to your questions about Kampot