We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Hi experts,

I am trying to decide where to stay in Tarangire NP in Oct 2013. I will only have 1 full day at Tarangire NP in Oct 2013 and thus do not wish to spend too much time driving to reach the park entrance in the morning.

At the moment the tour operator offered me

- Maromboi Tented Camp

- Kirurumu Tarangire Lodge kirurumu.net/kirurumu_tarangire_lodge.html

Which I think may be a bit cheaper since they are located outside the park (??). But I have no idea how long it will take from either place to reach the park entrance to begin game-viewing drive. Anyone to enlighten me?

Can I pick any of the below and still keep the same prices as Maromboi or KTL?

- Inside park: Tarangire Safari Lodge http://www.tarangiresafarilodge.com

- Inside park: Tarangire River Camp mbalimbali.com/camps/tarangire_river_camp.php

- Near(er) park entrance: Kikoti Tented Camp www.africanconservancycompany.com/kikoti.htm

- Inside park (???): Nasikia Njiwa

Thank you - welcome your insights.

Mentioned in this post
Kirurumu Tarangire Lodge
Kirurumu Tarangire Lodge
90 Reviews
Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Tarangire River Camp
Tarangire River Camp
287 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,757 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Marimboi would give you some of the luxe you considered.

Tarangire River Camp is outside the gate about 20 minutes, and just a note, is owned by a hunting company which in Africa some might find a conflict of interest.

Tarangire Safari Lodge gets rave reviews from some regular posters here, but as two have gone on vacation, I will contribute on their behalf. There is some modernizing going on there, and the few complaints are how close the tents are together, but fab views of animals at the river. Also know elephanrs often wander through camp, so close encou ters.

Two camps that are unique but outside the camp and perhaps not good for one night is Ol Tukai and Boundary Hill. Ol Tukai is on flats near Lake Manyara, a little out of the way and remote. Some love that others don't. Boundary Hill is lovely on a Hill top with even a suite with outside bathtub and views from the loos. But much more than twenty minutes outside the gate. Of course, if you arrive in the afternoon you could do your first overnight there, enter Tarangire the back way, the overnight outside the park wherever yiu wish.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire River Camp
Tarangire River Camp
287 Reviews
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
836 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

What is your opinion of Whistling Thorn Camp in Tarangire? A tour operator made a suggestion of that or Tarangire Safari Lodge. I've read very good comments from some TA experts of Tarangire Safarri Lodge but have never heard of Whistling Thorn Camp.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Maramboi is a very good place with good food, accomodation, and animals roaming around (it was that way in Feb) albeit a bit far from Tarangire. If I remember correctly, it was around an hour and 15 minutes from the park entrance.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

I stayed at Tarangire Safari Lodge in January, and it was lovely. If you can handle a long-ish (but level) walk, ask for tent 22, it is the last tent so you only have one tent to your left and an awesome view directly over the river. It is a larger tented camp, but I felt like I was all alone in camp, until I went to the large dining hall for dinner.

I also stayed at Kirurumu Tarangire (aka Tamarind camp) last June. It is located right outside the park gate. It still remains as one of my favorite camps (very small).

I have not stayed at the others.

You can read my reviews (and see photos) on TA.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

I've stayed twice at Whistling Thorn Camp and loved it both times. Very rustic, very basic, but excellent food and great ambience. You'll get Masaai dancers in the evening around the campfire. Both times we were there, we were either the only guests of only one of two tents inhabited. It's outside the gates, but you can do night drives there. Great birdlife, as well. It's one of our favorite camps. On our next safari in February 2014 we'll be staying at Tarangire Safari Lodge -- mainly for the view and to get a bit of variety. But I remain very fond of Whistling Thorn.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,757 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Know that recent comments state that they are building a spa beside Tent 22 at Tarangire safari Lodge so that well recommended location might be changed.

And there are reviews and reports of Whistling Thorn Camp and they have been very positive.

Edited: 11:49 am, April 01, 2013
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

I've stayed at Tarangire Safari lodge last October and at that time of year you will not beat it for location and views. If you want to be inside the park, which I would recommend if time is an issue then this is a good choice. I have also stayed at the River Camp and its 20mins outside the park so I wouldn't stay there in October.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
848 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Just got back from Kirurumu. Loved it, and i don't feel it was far from the park...I can't remember now, as it really is all jumbled in my memory. I don't remember the drives to the park as much as I remember the park itself.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Wow Sparks, you are back already! Hope your trip was all that you had hoped for it to be and more. Will look forward to your TR and photos.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
848 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Tarangire NP? (budget and time conscious)

Yes already back...it does seem to go by faster for those on TA reading everyone else s posts. Yet our trip seemed like a long time. It was all that and more. I have a trip report mostly ready to post, but would like to also have the link to pics ready to. Almost done with that also. I have one of those long trip reports rather than a quickie one. I may have to cut it down, I'm not sure.

Edited: 2:42 pm, April 01, 2013