We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tangarire in February

Estes Park, CO
Level Contributor
94 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Tangarire in February

I am planning a trip for Feb 2014 (okay, I know it a little early, but I'm having fun). I plan to spend two nights in Tangarire and am researching accommodations. In some places I am reading that the northern part of the park is really overrun with vehicles and people and staying in the southern part of the park is then worth the extra $$ to avoid the crowds. I know that Tangarire is at is best June to November. So will there be fewer people/vehicles there in February? Or is there a rather constant flow of people there year-round?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tangarire in February

There are more animals in the Northern part of the park hence the traffic. The Southern part of the park is probably overrun with tse tse flies. For me the best accomodations all year round are -in the park Tarangire Safari lodge and outside Boundary Hill Lodge or Kikoti.

Mentioned in this post
Boundary Hill Lodge
Boundary Hill Lodge
134 Reviews
Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Estes Park, CO
Level Contributor
94 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tangarire in February

Thanks, noexpert. I just found your year-round description of the Tarangire in the FAQ portion, and really appreciated that information as well. I have Boundary Hill and the Safari Lodge on my short list. I am glad to know that I don't need to spend the extra $$$ for the camps in the south.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tangarire in February

I was just at Boundary Hill. I loved it, but there are drawbacks depending on the road you will use to get there. If you come in through Tarangire and then access Boundary Hill from the eastern park gate, it might not be so bad - and I would recommend leaving from the NP on your last day - but the road that they share with Treetops from the Makyuni area, can be very onerous indeed. I would recommend it more for those who are going to do a few days of R&R staying put at the Lodge rather than using it as a sleeping place while travelling to parks. This is just my opinion of course and I was there during the long rains which means the road is "H E double hockey sticks". On a good day, it is 1.5 hours from the Makyuni Road - on a bad day, over 2 hours.

Arusha, Tanzania
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tangarire in February

i understand that you are planning to come and visit Tanzania in feb 2014. this is the greatest period to visit Serengeti due to the migrations animals are in ndutu area as well in the southern of Serengeti, good lucky. definetely it is good idea to visit tarangire during this period of the year as so many elephants, giraffe, buffalo, impala ect.. are making birth and so many permanent animals. what is your plan? how many days are looking for??

thank you and wait to hear from you

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tangarire in February

I was in Tarangire this February. There were not that many vehicles - not as many as we saw in the Serengeti for leopard sightings or not nearly as many as in Ngorongoro Crater.

We stayed at Tarangire Safari Lodge and Boundary Hill. We were the only guests at Boundary Hill. The only reason we stayed there was to do a night safari and that was a bit of a bust. I would have preferred to stay another night at Tarangire Safari Lodge. But my husband really liked the room at Boundary Hill with the outdoor tub, views, etc. With only 2 nights, I'd go with Tarangire Safari Lodge, like QM said, Boundary Hill is a long drive away from the park.

I'm glad we went to Tarangire but there aren't as many elephants in February as there are in the dry season there. But we still saw plenty of them. We also saw lots of zebra, rock hyrax, lion prides, giraffe, waterbuck and lots and lots of beautiful birds. Others we talked to saw a leopard there, but we didn't (but we made up for it in the Serengeti by seeing 5 different leopards). Tarangire a really beautiful park and I loved the views so I'd say it's worth staying there year round. Have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Tarangire Safari Lodge
971 Reviews
Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
rmolly
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tangarire in February

I was told that Tangari is not recommended in February due to the many tse tse flies and the large heards of elephants have left.

Is that correct?

Thank you,

Rita

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tangarire in February

rmolly

I was at Boundry Hills Lodge and Tangarire Park in Feb. 2012. The northern park of the park had numerous animals. Saw herds of elephants ranging from 10 or 20 to serveral hundred over the two days we were in the park. Now I don't know how many of 5000 elephants were in the park at that time but there was more than I wanted to keep count of , so I guess there was enough. Had no problem with T.T. flies. A hand full over 2 days.

I agree with Quiltingmamma. B.H. L is nice but it is an hour to the Tangaire gate and if I were to do it again I would stay at T.S.L. great view and location.

In the whole month we were on safari I never felt crowed unless you got caught in the middle of a "Animal Watch"

Crapshooter

8. Re: Tangarire in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 am, June 21, 2013