We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarangire in June?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Tarangire in June?

I'm getting conflicting information about going to Tarangire in June so am looking for more information from the experts here and especially from anyone who has been in Tarangire in June - we'll be there around the 2nd week of June.

One safari operator says it's fine in June and we are scheduling a couple of days there. The other says that it's not good in June ... that the animals are widely distributed and that Manyara National Park is better (the other company isn't even including Manyara).

The other reason they that Tarangire is bad in June is the tsetse flys are especially active.

What do you think? Would really appreciate your thoughts. We haven't actually booked anything yet so it's not too late to make adjustments.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,624 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarangire in June?

What do I think? I would change agents.

Tarangire is fine at any time. OK the wildlife Ebbs and flows as it does everywhere but these places are NEVER empty!

let us be honest. two cars a mile apart can see very different things and these 'agents' who say "good", "not so good" are just baseing their comments on what they want you to do. (OK. some are trying to get you the best experience for your buck but it IS only guess work.)

I love Manyara, (no surprise there KG??) but it is unfairly treated as a drive by and not a full exploration. Go to whichever appeals most in the time frame given.

Tsetse. Africa's unpaid and most effective Game Warden. They are in both Mayara and Tarangire. Go feed em. They do a great job keeping the cattle out! They don't have a close season either!!

http://img3.imageshack.us/g/tsetse.jpg/

Have fun!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarangire in June?

I would also change agents Tarangire is excellent in June and any other time as well.

Many agents and even some operators don't visit Tarangire so wouldn't have a clue what they are talking about.

I also love Manyara it is a beautiful park. So it Tarangire. if you have time visit both.

Tsetse are all over the park but main concentrations are found in some of the busy areas during the heat of the day. Further south towards Olivers and Swala. But you can avoid these areas.

I wrote a post 2 years ago on Tarangire and today updated it a bit but have copied a bit of the old one below for your interest.

"From June to September, the weather is very mild, the park slowly begins to dry out, and by mid June takes on the characteristic brown dun color. Once again you will find the really large herds of elephants in the Silale and Gosuwa swamps, and wildebeest and zebra congregating on the banks of the Tarangire river during the middle of the day. "

Lion leopard and cheetah are always around if your guide knows where to look.

Don't forget the boababs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarangire in June?

Thanks! I have to admit, I was a bit suspicious of the person saying to avoid the park in June - maybe they have a vested interest in having us stay somewhere else. We were not leaning toward that operator anyway since we're on a budget and they are quite a bit more. I'm sure they have their reasons and they are probably correct in some regards, but I'll just continue on with our plans to visit Tarangire.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
780 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarangire in June?

Will gladly "throw my hat in with" mfuwe and noexpert. We have been to Tarangire three times in May/June since 2004 and enjoyed ourselves immensley. The baobab trees regardless of season make it a great setting of all the parks on the northern circuit. Assumming rainfall is plentiful and on time, the park may have sufficient grassy vegetation to make some game spotting a bit more challenging but the variety is still there. If all goes well we plan on being there again this coming May and already know we will enjoy the visit.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarangire in June?

wegoustay is spot on - as it's after the 'wet' grass can be high in some areas and small game a bit more challenging to locate, but do not discount this park. I'm often there end-May/June and find it's wonderful. And, while tse-tse maybe known to reside in the south, when I've been down that way... not a one.

As others--- change the agent, they've probably never been to this hidden gem.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tarangire in June?

and tse-tse flies aren't so bad...

…photobucket.com/albums/nn193/hlghartmann/…

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tarangire in June?

I was in Tarangire last June and we had a great time. We saw many animals and didn't have issues with the flies at all. That happened when we were in certain parts of the Serengeti.

One piece of advice -- just remember that the animals in these parks are not on show, so just appreciate any sightings at all. When you do that, everything is enjoyable.

Have a great time - I'd love to go back!

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tarangire in June?

I can only tell you that we really enjoyed our visit last June when we stayed at Swala Camp which is amazingly beautiful and well run. Yes there are tse- tse flies but its Africa after all. We took a battery operated bug bat and had fun swatting them. The camps hang out anti tse-tse traps which worked really well. As we drove into camp the flies vanished.

I wrote a trip report on our time in Tanzania. It was so wonderful we are returning to Africa this June so I am putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak. Have a great trip.

9. Re: Tarangire in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 16, 2013