We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greensboro help please! Oct.10-13

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greensboro help please! Oct.10-13

Hello! Can someone please suggest some things to do in Greensboro area for a Mom and 12 year old daughter. We are coming on a furniture shopping trip October 10-13-our days are planned til about 3-4:00...need help on how to spend afternoons/evenings...we have a visitors guide but, its not very detailed...

Anything special to see or do?

Any great book stores, fabric stores or antique malls?

Is there an area where you can walk along and look at shops and then have dinner?

What are the locals' favorite restaurants for a special dinner?

We are staying at Ashford Suites. Thanks so much...and just in case anybody is wondering...daughter LOVES furniture/antique shopping. She is very excited that she is able to come with me...her favorite shows are all HGTV or fashion related :)...so no child shopping torture going on here <smile>. Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Greensboro
Greensboro
North Carolina
Level Contributor
15 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greensboro help please! Oct.10-13

Hi...I am originally from Greensboro and still love the area even though work/family took me out of state. Looks like you are staying in High Point, not too far from Greensboro.

A few ideas come to mind...

For shopping/dinner check out Friendly Center on Friendly Ave in Greensboro just off Wendover Ave. Lots of shops, several restaurants from quick and casual to more upscale. There is a Barnes and Noble there and a movie theater. I think a new section has recently opened with more upscale shops.

Edward McKay's Used Books is a great place...on Mill Street between Lawndale and Battleground Ave just off of Wendover Ave.

(wefeedyourhead.com/wordpress/…)

Downtown Greensboro, South Elm Street in particular, has nice restaurants and coffehouses, antique shops, etc. This part of downtown is the historic district. Check out Liberty Oak Restaurant (www.triaddiner.com/view_rest.php?restid=1647)and the Green Bean (www.triaddiner.com/view_rest.php?restid=117)both great places. There are also places like the Broach Theater and Triad Stage (not sure about their performance schedules though) where you might be able to take in a performance. Ample parking either on the street or in parking decks in the area.

If you have more time in the afternoon, a drive to Asheboro for a visit to the NC Zoo, could make for a fun afternoon. Natural habitat design, one of the top zoos in the country. (www.nczoo.org). Near Asheboro is Seagrove which boasts several pottery studios with shops. Pottery and the zoo would make for a great day trip if you have the time. (http://www.seagrovepotteries.com/)

Hope this helps. Have a great trip to my homestate!! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Greensboro
Greensboro
North Carolina
High Point
High Point
North Carolina
Friendly Center
Friendly Center
29 Reviews
Greensboro, NC
Liberty Oak
Liberty Oak
215 Reviews
Greensboro, NC
Asheboro
Asheboro
North Carolina
2. Re: Greensboro help please! Oct.10-13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 17, 2009