We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding arrangements?

Which Rorke's Drift hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding arrangements?

My partner has been to Kwazulu Natal twice and we plan to go there together next Spring- think it may be a great atmospheric place to get married - I saw his video of the church at Rorke's Drived and wondered if this venue is available or... any advice?

12 replies to this topic
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding arrangements?

what about a safari wedding. i like kwa zulu natal, but there are other quaint churches. a safari wedding would be very romantic. or even a beach weddling. there are safari lodges that organise weddings. www.proteahotelkrugergate.co.za it is a beautiful site.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Thanks, I will look at the link. Partner is rather addicted to KZN so I guess if anywhere (?) is will be thereabouts, since we want to tie it in with a Holts Tour in the Spring.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Hello and I got married in KwaZulu Natal. You could contact Fugitives Drift Lodge and ask them about Rorkes Drift. I think they also conduct weddings at the lodge? Otherwise there are a lot of options on stunning venues in the province. A Safari setting I think is a great idea. I contribute to a web site called www.safarikzn.com, dedicated to KZN, where you will find a stack of free information including reviews on places where I have stayed. If I can advise or help in any way please ask. I assume by Spring you mean our Spring March to May?

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Yes, the Holts tour leaving in April 2013. That is useful info, thanks, will check out the website :)

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Fugitives Drift would be a superb wedding venue.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Thanks, I will look that up, saw reviews on Tripadvisor- all good. Loving the ideas folks! The ceremony only has to be simple, 40 years on since first met as teenage sweethearts then went our separate ways and marriages, to reunite 4 years ago and pledge a sunset walking end to our story... aah :)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding arrangements?

If you look at the Fugitive Drifts web site I am sure that they have had a couple of weddings recently. In fact I think one was Andrew Ratrays who now runs the lodge with his mother. There is also game on the surrounding land to the lodge. And you are not far from the mountains, beaches and Big5 reserves. We got married in a stock sale yard!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Mark, how did you get a license for the stockyard wedding? I know in UK the venues (increasingly, hilltops, castles and of all places my local Kingsholm rugby ground!) have to be licensed by some authority... also, how much notice do they need to register the wedding/organise the registrar/vicar etc? We don't want too much forward planning hassle (which is why avoiding the traditional routine) yet to be too spontaneous would probably be logistically impossible.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Well it was 1997 and we had the cereomy in the 'yard' then to legalise it we had to go through the legal side in-doors. My wife is from KZN so her dad made the arrangements. I think these days even in SA things are much easier to sort. Let me make an enquiry for you and I will get back to you.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding arrangements?

Reply to: Wedding arrangements?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rorke's Drift
More Rorke's Drift Topics