We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

After a self-drive in Okavango - Chobe - Victoria Falls or Livingstone, my teenage daughter and I will exit via the Caprivi Strip in another 4x4 rental. We'll have about 8 days left and would like to see Etosha, see an authentic Himba village, perhaps in the Opuwo area, and then drive down to spend a couple of nights in Sesriem before flying out of Windhoek. I'm uncertain of whether to drive to Kaokoland via Ondangwa and then to south to Outjo and into Etosha, or to visit Etosha first, then up to Kaokoland and then drive down to Sesriem. Any thoughts on whether 2 nights in the Opuwo area justifies the long drive? Or recommendations of guide or community? The San Bushmen areas are even more difficult to reach, but if anyone has tips that would also be of interest.

Thanks.

Seems like a long drive to reach Sesriem from the north. Is driving at night allowed outside of the "game areas" or is this considered "negligent" even on big highways?

12 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Driving after dark is allowed. It is also dangerous. Animals don't carry lights and a Kudu through your windscreen will wreck your day. In fact you may well invalidate your Insurance too. Don't do it.

8 Days is not really long enough for your ambitious plans. Pass up on either Kaokland or Sesreim (if not both).

A couple of nights in Caprivi Parks, three minimum in Etosha. (Booking for Dolomite camp will let you out the western Galton Gate), Only three left and you need to be in Windhoek for your flight.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Don't drive at night with your rental car, all insurance will be cancelled.

there is a Bushman village close to roy's Camp, we normally stay 2 nights at roys and then do a day visit to the village, or if you are camping you can actually camp close to the village.

leave out Kaokoland, visit etosha, for 2 nights, coming from the Okavango you would have seen allot of wildlife. if you want to visit a nice Himba village you have 2 options, 1: stay at grootberg Lodge and do a guided tour to the village or visit the himba village close to kamanjab, both place do not require you to drive all the way up to Opuwo for this.

skip Sossusvlei, you might be able to reach swakopmund for your last night/s, there you can also see some dunes, but kaokoland/ damaraland and the rest of the country deserves a safari of its own, at least 3 weeks. :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Agree with both the experts above. 8 days is not near enough. Skip the south and skip kaokoland. 3 nights caprivi and travel towards etosha. 3 nights etosha. 2 nights damarland. That is a fairly brisk pace already.

The distances are more vast than you realize and no, you cannot travel after dark. Very dangerous and invalidates your rental insurance.

Good luck

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Chris and I agreeing? Must be Sunday. (Well OK, I stick with 3 nights in Etosha!!)

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

mfuwe, one day ill take you on a safari into Damaraland in a 4x4 and you will forget all about Etosha! ;)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

<<you will forget all about Etosha! ;)>>

Your driving that bad is it?

I might well take you up on it. 2014 suit you?

If you can show me 12 Lion, 11 Cheetah and one Leopard (plus two Black Rhino within feet of the car in full sun) all in one mornng I might consider you have a point.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Thank you all for this wise advice and the spirit in which it is given! I have bit the bullet and set aside Sossousvlei. I think this will allow us to see at least one village, or two, and do far less driving. Chris, do you know names of the San village near Roys, and the Himba village(s) near Grootberg and Kamanjab that you mention? We are camping (probably Hoada Campsite), so might not have access to the Grootberg tour(?). Do these villages welcome self-drive types for camping or would we need to find a guide to visit in a respectable way?

Many years ago, I walked from village to village in remote parts of Sudan and was received warmly; I want to get a sense of what is customary in this part of Namibia.

Thanks again!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

below is a link to the website for the bushman

www.lcfn.info/en/ju-hoansi/ju-hoansi-home

as for the Himbas, i would not recommend you to visit the village by yourself, they have a special arrangement with the lodge and anyway you will not find the village, it is quite deep in the bush. :)

Edited: 11:11 am, May 23, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

Thank you Chris, you've been most helpful! We'll stay at Roy's one night and then one night near the San village. That way we'll be there for a morning activity before heading off to Etosha. After Etosha we will stay at Grootberg Lodge one night and also Hoada campsite one night, and go with Grootberg to visit the Himba. After that we have one more night to work with en route to Windhoek to complete the trip.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland

my pleasure! :)

just remember to book the night at Hoada campsite first and then grootberg lodge, otherwise you going to drive back and forth for nothing.

last night going to windhoek, you have many options, but try spitzkoppe, one of my favourite spots in Namibia and about 3-4 hour drive to WHK

Reply to: Caprivi strip to Etosha and Kaokoland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaokoland