We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kilifi

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
kilifi

Hey guys, because of the excellent reviews for mnarani hotel ive decided to book it for our honeymoon early next year. My quiestion is: is it safe to walk around the local town by yourselves, any problems with the locals at all?? its just that where ever we've been before i.e Havana Cuba, Cairo we always got mobbed by beggars or people trying to sell us things, thanks for you help.

Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
#1 of 6 hotels in Kilifi
Silver Palm Spa and Resort
Silver Palm Spa and Resort
#2 of 6 hotels in Kilifi
What Next
What Next
#1 of 4 B&Bs / Inns in Kilifi
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kilifi

You should have no problems in Kilifi as long as you stick to the standard advice regarding wearing lots of flash jewellery etc. It is advisable to get a taxi from the hotel to town and back if travelling at night. You may well be approached by street vendors if you are sitting in a bar. They pass through selling everything including the kitchen sink but they won't hassle you but they will come and ask if you want to buy something.

Otherwise Kilifi is very chilled. Have a brilliant honeymoon. Some friends of mine have just stayed at the Mnarani and loved it.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kilifi

Ah that's fantastic, thanks for the advice, can't wait.

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
996 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kilifi

I agree we stayed at mnari and most evenings we would pop over to the village to have a few wander and a beer or two before it got dark. never once seen a begger or got hasseled to buy anything.

if your unsure as the hotel did try and put people off going on their own chat to animation team or a barman/waiter. most will take you into town the first time to show you around on their free time.

you will have a fantastic time at this hotel we did.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kilifi

Kilifi is an awesome town to visit at the coast. You can use yuk tuk's to get around. A few places for a drink would include Kilifi Back Packers, The Boat Yard, Kilifi bay Hotel, and Kilifi Members Club (no need for membership).

They also have bikes at Mnarani Cub.

For a great lunch, try Nautiulis Restaurant. Ask Mnarani if they can drop you there by boat and collect you by boat. Even the Boat yard they can drop you by boat.

Love Kilifi:)

Mentioned in this post
Kilifi Bay Beach Resort
Kilifi Bay Beach Resort
129 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kilifi

❝yuk tuk's❞

I'm no fan of the noisy little beggars, and they are a real nuisance in Mombasa Town (if you are driving that is, they are great if you want to get around the town quickly) but I don't think I'd go so far ヅ

BTW did you know that in the same way that the Vespa scooter is called Vespa (wasp in Italian) because of the noise it makes the original Italian 3 wheelers now used as tuk tuks here were called Ape (bee in Italian). Though most of them are now made in India, some of the tuk tuks still have the Ape badge

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kilifi

Doff, can't think :) Still hearing sirens in Westlands.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kilifi

Agree with RW 100%, Kilifi is my 2nd home and I would not choose anywhere else in Kenya, its very laid back and as there are many mzungus working in the hospital & research centre you get no hassle like other locations along the coast. I often go for a walk along Bofa Beach on my own and the only thing you get is fisherman saying Hello and once they get to know they try to sell you their fresh fish.

Landing on the jetty at Nautiulis Restaurant as the sun sets is a scene you will remember for a long time. We have been there now for four years and have never felt threatened at any time, its just an amazing little town.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kilifi

If you do use one of the bicycles from Mnarani Club and feel adventurous you could cycle to Takaungu Village which is a few miles south of Mnarani. Out onto the main road heading south, through Kilifi Plantations where you will hit the creek. Have a look on Google Maps.

I went alone, when I got to the creek there was a man in a boat who rowed across to my side of the creek, myself, the bike and a few other local passengers got on and the guy rowed us across.

When I got to the village a nice young guy approached me and asked if he could show me around the village. He suggested that I could leave the bike against the wall as no one would steal it. I decided to push it around the village!

The head chef at Mnarani is named Charo (if he's still there) and he comes from Takaungu, I asked him if it was safe and he assured me that it was. I had a good day out.

I used to walk around Mnarani Village with Mama Mzee and I'd walk around Kilifi town by myself. I never felt threatened and was never pestered. When we stayed at Malindi I'd walk out by myself down alleys, through the fruit market, in the fish market, anywhere....

One thing worth bearing in mind is that at the entrance from the road to Mnarani Club is the Matatu Stage (the local mini buses which were built for 10 and until a few years ago used to seat 29 people quite comfortably). Sometimes when guests walk out of Mnarani Club they will be approached by the Matatu Touts asking if they want a seat. They are innocently trying to earn a living and when me and Mama Mzee have needed seats to travel to Kilifi town for onward travel to Malindi the touts have managed to get them for us and will hustle other sitters to move over to let Wazungu in. We just tip them a few shillings.

A few years ago when we were at Mnarani Club two elderly ladies had walked to the gate and were approached by the touts, they felt insecure and went back to the hotel and didn't leave it. When they mentioned it to me I arranged to take them to the Creek Bar which was on the the opposite side of the road and meet a few locals. After that they were happy to walk out by themselves.

Enjoy every inch of your honeymoon.

Edited: 1:06 pm, September 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
576 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kilifi

Hello, yes it is safe Kilifi is lovely very safe, just be sensible at all times ,we live there so any advice please ask, enjoy !

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kilifi

pollyanna,

you say you live in Kenya on several of your posts, so why do you have Exeter as your location?

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Kilifi