We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Dear All,

I thought it was going to be easy, but I really struggle to decide on the safari tour while at Mnarani Club hotel at the end of May/beginning of June.

We are considering the following options:

1. 2-day safari to Tsavo East only staying at Ashnil Aruba Lodge

2. 2-day safari to Tsavo East and Taita Hills staying at Sarova Saltlicks

3. 2-day safari to Tsavo East and Tsavo West staying at Serena Kilaguni

4. 3-day safari to Tsavo East and Tsavo West staying at Ashnil Aruba and Serena Kilaguni.

The last option is much more expensive, and should we opt for a 2-day safari we will probably go on a day trip to Haller Park.

While on safari we would like to spend most of the time watching as many animals as possible rather than travelling from a to b.

I've read that there is a higher concentration of animals at Taita Hills than Tsavo. Also that it is more difficuilt to spot animals at Tsavo West than Tsavo East due to terrain. Are Mzima Springs worth extras travelling and money, or is Haller Park as interesting?

Thank you very much for all your valued opinions.

Regards,

Andy

Cardiff
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

I can only mention halle park it is better to arrive about lunch time as all the action, feeding etc was in the afternoon, but that was in 2010

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Thank you very much Steve!

3. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
Edited: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013
4. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Thank you Jones:)

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Andy

We are in the same quandary arriving late May and not sure what to choose

who are you thinking of as a operator, the easy answer seems to be through thompsons but the prices are high and don't want to faf around moving rooms

7. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

I would include Kilaguni in a two night safari, ok you don't see as many animals in Tsavo West but the lodge is one of the best IMHO. We usually spend the first night at Ashnil Aruba, so many elephants and we have been lucky to see many of the other animals on the trip through to spend the following night at Kilaguni. We did stay at Saltlick, its different but I would stick to Tsavo East & West, I cannot comment on Mzima Springs as we have never included that into the drives when staying at Kilaguni.

I do think that after your have been on safari there is no need to make the trip from Kilifi into Haller Park, better to get on a bike and ride down along Bofa Beach where you can snorkel and see so much in the sea or plan a trip from the hotel on the Dhow which goes up the creek to Bird Island for a sunset cruise, you are in for a treat.

colchester, uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Hiya,

We stayed at Mnarani a few years ago, fantastic hotel btw! loved it. While we were there we were recommended a tour operator called Wildlife Kenya Safaris.. If you have a search on here you'll find the details they are based in Diani beach and the main man is called Antony M.... Can't remember his surname.. However, very good operator and very good prices. from Mnarani we did the Red Elephant safari by 4x4 jeep, there swas just another couple on the trip with us. We went to Tsavo East and stayed at Voi safari lodge, probably not the best place but ok price. We had about 4game drives and saw many animals including Lions and cubs! Fantastic! Our driver was absolutely brilliant, I would highly reccomend them.

We went back Kenya a coupld of years ago to get married and we did the same safari again with the same operator, still just as good but Antony was brilliant and really efficient.

Worth having a look on his website lots of other options and shows rough prices for you to look at.

Enjoy Mnarani.. Still debatin about going back there next year!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari dilemma from Mnarani

Thank you very much for your advice:)

Get answers to your questions about Kilifi