We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

London
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

I was due to go to Kilifi with my kids in August but have just found out I am pregnant. I am guessing this is now not on cos of malaria? My work trip before that is in Narok and Maralal and Nairobi - all fine with reg to Malaria, aren't they?

Kids and hubby are flying out to join me after work - where should I take them now? I thought maybe a safari. What's nice for small kids ( 7 and 5) and not ruinously expensive. We'll self-drive and stay at safari tents ideally. Masai Mara?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

You need to consult your GP not TA for advice Sarah.

Also the places you visit make no difference as long as they are in a Malaria zone then the chance of getting Malaria exist.

Edited: 6:07 am, February 20, 2013
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

Congratulations :) Because you are going into malaria areas for work (even forgetting the coast), the best advice for you is to see your GP and take it from there. Perhaps they will advise you against traveling to Kenya altogether?

One of the users gave a link to a good guide, have a look

doh.gov.za/docs/…malaria_prevention.pdf

Having said that people who live here fall pregnant (I had both kids here with no anti malaria, we do not take it at all), etc but there is a difference between living here and visiting.

Good luck with your

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,726 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

sarah,

I'm afraid the incidence of malaria is high in Narok, it is common in Maralal, and people also contract it in Nairobi.

As Malla and Larissa say you should be discussing this with your GP or practice travel nurse but if you want to do some research before you go to see them there is a section on Pregnancy in Chapter 6 of the guidelines from the Health Protection Agency Advisory Committee on Malaria Prevention for UK Travellers

hpa.org.uk/Publications/…

There is a huge amount of detailed and practical info in these guidelines

Edited: 10:34 am, February 20, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

Malaria can be contracted anywhere in Kenya.

As above, review the details provided above and discuss with your doctor.

You mihgt just have to postpone this visit - business or pleasure.

This is one souvenir you don't want to chance bringing home!

Edited: 11:53 am, February 20, 2013
5. Re: Pregnant - oh dear. Malaria questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kilifi