We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
NOrfolk
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Payments

We are returning to Mnarani Kenya (last visited Mnarani last Nov) in November. We have been told by our travel agent that we have to pay an entrance visa sum of $50 each and an exit sum of $40. We have never had to pay an exit tax previously - can anyone confirm please

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Payments

My understanding is that as of July Kenya has increased the departure tax from 20 to $40. This tax is usually included in the int'l airfare. If you've had air tickets for a while I guess you need to know if you'll be paying an extra $20 on leaving, assuming the original $20 was paid when you got your tickets. In any case I think you need to speak with your agent if he/she purchased or will purchase your tickets. The $50 visa fee remains the same.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Payments

if you have booked with Thomson then yes you will have to pay the departure tax

Leesburg
Level Contributor
102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Payments

My ticket was purchased in October. Can I assume the departure tax was included. I am flying British Airways.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Payments

If I really wanted to know I'd call the BA and ask if they knew if the departure tax was included. But I wouldn't assume anything and I'd stash away a couple of twenties to be ready for any eventuality.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Payments

Jane,

As Steve and Bruce have said Departure Tax is usually included in your plane ticket, but if you are going with Thomson / First Choice they pass it on so you need to pay it yourself. Until 1 July the cost is $20 or its equivalent in sterling or Kenyan shillings, people recently reported paying £15 or £16 or 2,100/-. It doubles in price from 1 July so will be $40 or (presumably) £30 or 4,200/-

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Payments

think its a case of how to kill the tourist industry once and for all , flight prices are high enough now , but adding departure tax will turn people off, just came back and mombasa is dead now , bars empty, clubs empty, beach empty, south coast is the same

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Payments

pjduk - it is extremely quiet, I agree, I came back on Monday. But the end of May/early June is the very lowest part of the low season.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Payments

"think its a case of how to kill the tourist industry once and for all"

Think you're right.

Leesburg
Level Contributor
102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Payments

Will they take a $100 for 2 Visa's at the airport

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Payments

Yankari

hope your right , was a bit busy this time last year but time will tell, you never know they might drop the exit costs or delay if it starts to impact on passenger numbers

Get answers to your questions about Kilifi