We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like now??...

Bristol
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like now??...

Hi all Trip Advisors....Although I've been to Kenya already, I'm keen to go back - I just loved my first visit. My question is this..

We're all seeing the terrible scenes of drought and starvation (and yes, I have made a large donation to the DEC fund, and sent money privately) but I'd like to know how the drought is affecting Tsavo and the Masai, in terms of the wildlife, the Masai villages etc? Now? ....

I was at Tsavo in 2008/9 and though there was evidence even then of the drought (skeletons of animals in the safari parks) I understand that still no significant rains have come.

I'd be grateful if any of you travel experts out there can give me an up to date report?

Many thanks

Jayne.

Sunworshipper Bristol

4 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it like now??...

The drought is focused on the Horn of Africa, and especially Somalia, so it's mostly the far north and northeast of Kenya that are affected. There's been recent heavy rain in the southwest quarter of the country where the vast majority of people live.

Richard

Bristol
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like now??...

Many thanks Richard...grateful for your input! x

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it like now??...

It's certainly not affecting the majority of the country like the shocking images on TV make it seem. I've been from Kisumu to Mombasa over the past six weeks and all seems well enough across the south and center of the country. The maize fields just west of Tsavo West were starting to be harvested and looking very healthy four weeks ago. The maize has failed in a few places, but mostly in environments where it shouldn't have been planted in the first place. Its raining daily in Kericho and occasionally in Kisumu and Nairobi. I drove through the rice fields between Embu and Meru today and they were fully irrigated. Come and enjoy your stay.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like now??...

Yes, sadly the Nation reported the other day that in many parts of SW Kenya there's been a bumper harvest, prices have plummeted and farmers are getting less than half what they would normally expect for pototoes and cabbages.

Essential food may even rot for lack of basic infrastructure to get it to markets where it's needed.

Meawhile, even up the Rift Valley in Baringo and Pokot, people are desperate, while in Turkana and of course in Eastern Province there's a serious famine.

Richard

Reply to: What's it like now??...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meru National Park
Recent Conversations
More Meru National Park Topics