We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Algonquin, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report July 29-Aug 3

I got lots of great information from this board before our trip, so I decided to post a trip report. Thanks to all who provide such great information. It is truly helpful for us tourists.

July 29-We stayed at the Great Smoky Jellystone Campground out on rte. 321 near Cosby. We camped with a travel trailer, and I highly recommend this campground. Most campsites back up to a mountain stream which is just great! In the evening we ate at Cherokee Grill in Gatlinburg and we enjoyed our meal.

July 30-Spent the day in Dollywood. We had a great time! It was about a 45 min. drive from our campground, but all the driving in the area is so scenic we didn't mind a bit. There is so much to do and see at Dollywood that we probably could have used another 1/2 day.

July 31-Hiking Day! We hiked part of the Maddron Bald Trail which was accessible from the back of our campground. There is an old cabin on this trail as well as some old growth forests. Very nice. In the afternoon we hiked the Hen Wallow Falls trail which is accessible near the Cosby campground. Also a nice hike which ended at a falls. Beautiful forest scenery! We drove out to Corky's BBQ in Pigeon Forge for dinner. We'd had Corky's in both Memphis and Nashville. This Corky's experience was somewhat lacking. The food was good, but not outstanding like we had remembered from our other visits.

August 1-Boy oh boy were our legs tired from the hiking the previous day! We took it easier this day with a visit to the Sugarlands Visitor Center. We enjoyed both the exhibits and the movie. We also walked the short trail around the visitor center. We then took off for the Roaring Forks Motor Trail. Beautiful drive but very crowded. It wasn't bumper to bumper, but there were an awful lot of cars on the road. Many were pulled off (and in some questionable parking spots) to access the hiking. We had picked up a guide book in the visitor center, and I read to the family as we drove along. We then headed up the Newfound Gap Road. We really enjoyed stopping in Newfound Gap and standing in two states at once. Great views here! We then drove on up to Clingman's Dome. The parking up there was crazy, but we managed to snag a good spot. The clouds were really heavy looking but we managed to get a few great photos before the rain started. We were still in the parking lot area when the rain started, so we just got back in the car and left. For those who had hiked up to the observation platform, I'm guessing they got soaked. Dinner that evening was at Bennett's BBQ in Gatlinburg. Delicious! We also walked the strip, shopped, and did lots a people watching. What a fun way to spend the evening.

August 2-The previous day we had stopped at the Rafting in the Smokies office in Gatlinburg and signed up for a rafting trip. We had an 11:00 trip. I was really nervous about the rafting, but it was a lot of fun! Our guide was excellent. There are so many different companies to choose from, but this company had high ratings and I highly recommend it. That evening we ate at the Smoky Mountain Brewery. Good food, not great, but good. We shopped on the strip again and enjoyed walking around.

August 3-For our last day we spent the morning in the campground. After lunch we headed towards Cades Cove. Now... I knew it would be crowded, but the traffic was literally stopped. As we entered the loop we stopped immediately b/c there were park rangers keeping watch of a bear in a tree. We saw a bear! That was cool and we were feeling really positive about this loop drove. That's when things got bad. Traffic stopped and we actually turned off our car and just sat while no one moved. We saw on the map that there was a one-way road (unpaved) that headed over the mountain towards Townsend. We took it! It's called the Rich Mountain Road and it was quite an adventure. Really twisty, gravel, and steep. It put our SUV through it's paces. After getting off that road, we headed toward Pigeon Forge to eat dinner at The Old Mill. Great dinner. We didn't have time to browse around, but it seemed liked there was a lot to do and see.

We had a great trip in a beautiful part of the country. We hope to go back one day soon!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Great report. You just got to love Rich Mountain Rd. I was so scared the first time we drove it. I'm so glad you were able to see a Bear. That makes the traffic a little easier to deal with when you get a Bear sighting.

Thank you for taking the time to write us at home a trip report. I wished more people would take the time and do it. Be sure to review the places you ate at and stayed at.

Red Oak, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Thank you so much for your review. We had considered a cabin at Jellystone park and so, I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. I was curious to know if you did the faster rapids or the gentle rapids when you went rafting? We would like to do the gentle float trip with our 3yo granddaughter and I was wondering what your thoughts would be on that? Too young? Would she be bored? She is definitely an outdoors girl, but I wasn't sure. I hope to see a bear while we are there, but preferably not on a trail by me. So in a tree would be good. Thanks for the warning about Rich Mountain Road as maybe it might be too much for our mini-van or is it bad, but not that bad? Your review just made me even more excited about our first trip. We would have been there this week, but had to reschedule. I am glad you had a great time!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Thanks for sharing a great report!

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report. Over the past twenty five years or so we've been to Cades Cove more times than we could count. It wasn't until about ten years ago that we decided to take the "Rich Mountain" tour. Granted, it is gravel, and uphill all the way....but it IS well maintained and wide, and its strictly "one way" traffic.The first two or three years we drove it, we were in our Plymouth Villager mini van, in other years we also drove it in a Mercury Villager, then finally a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo....none of which had any problem with the road surface or the incline. It is a very peaceful and scenic drive. In my opinion you shouldn't have any trouble at all in your mini van or SUV. If ANY auto tour in the national park gave us any problem, it would have to be "Parsons Branch Rd" in Cades Cove. That excursion was so rough and rutty, the only way we'd ever do that one again is with another couple that's never experienced it.

Ray

Algonquin, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

The Rafting in the Smokies company has an age requirement for the rough and calm rapids. We did the upper rapids (the wilder one) and kids had to be at least 8 or 70+ pounds. Your young granddaughter will only be able to do the calmer raft trip. I can't imagine she'd be bored as they are suited up (life preserver and helmet) just like the other trips. I saw lots of little kids taking that trip with parents and grandparents.

The cabins at the Jellystone were all right on the stream as well. Their front porches sit on the stream. I thought they were pretty close together, but so were the campsites.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Thanks for the trip report! We are planning to do sugarlands visitor center and roaring forks in the same day with our 3 month old. So it was nice to hear of someone else's experience!! Maybe one day we will return and do a rafting trip when she gets bigger.

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
845 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

Thanks for the trip report. Always enjoy hearing about everyone's adventures!

8. Re: Trip report July 29-Aug 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 14, 2015