We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

Payne, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

I have a trip scheduled to the Smoky's coming up. I'll be about 20 weeks pregnant. I was really hoping to go white water rafting and ziplining while there, but that's out now. So, what is there to do in the area if you're pregnant?

I love hiking and plan to do a lot of that kind of stuff. I do not care for shops, shows, or tourist traps. Any ideas would be welcome! We'll also be traveling with a 2 and 4 year old as well as my dad who has some health conditions so I would also welcome ideas that would be fun for them as well (my dad was thinking of doing some fishing but he wasn't sure beyond that).

Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

Go to the website for the Great Smokey Mountains National park--it's full of information.

Driving the Cades Cove loop (and stopping along the way) is one option. The Roaring Fork Motor Trail and driving the Newfound Gap Road are too others.

There are great audio tours that you can download to hear in the car as you drive.

The Cherokee Museum on the North Carolina side of the park is excellent.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

The short jaunt across the first two creek crossings of the Chimney Top Trail is a pretty walk and doable for about anyone in your group. Laurel Falls is a paved, fairly level walk to the falls as well. However, watch your little ones as there are some steep drop-offs. Not really a show, but an "educational event" at the Rain forest Zoo at 1:00 if there are enough participants. My grandchildren loved this show. They got to hold or touch a tarantula, pet a parrot (or some big bird like that), pet a sugar glider, hold a boa. Well, one year it was put a boa around your neck if you wanted, another year it was--get several kids together to hold a python. Then there is the "zoo" itself, which is pretty small. But the naturalist did such a great informational show that we returned again. You could call and see if they still do the information show. The 2 year old might be a bit young.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

Depending on your overall health, and 20 weeks pregnant, there's still things you can do pretty easily. Up and down Rt 441 (the road that traverses from Gat/burg to Cherokee) there are short "quiet walkways" marked by wooden signs on the side of the road.....these are short little walks into the woods that make you feel like you're much deeper into the forest. Also, a half mile walk up to the observation tower of "Clingmans Dome"....(once again, taking into consideration your condition. From the parking lot alone, you can see beautiful long-distant views of the mountains.

If you like picnics, there's several fine places to choose from. One of our personal favorites is "Metcalf Bottoms" There's several picnic tables to choose from. All have their own individual charcoal grill. Many are extremely close to the Little Pigeon river. While you're grilling and eating, you will be close enough to the river to watch the kids splash in the waters edge. P.S. they DO permit fishing in the river. You'll need to check the license regulations.

Another suggestion your Dad and oldest child might enjoy is "The Little River Railroad & Lumber Museum" in the town of TOWNSEND. They have a few pieces of railroad equipment used to log out lumber from the mountain areas, in the pre-park era.

Ray

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

I forgot to mention, the "Cads Cove" auto tour....on this tour, you drive at your own pace. Many fine examples of the homes, churches, farms & cemeteries of the pioneers who settled here prior to the Civil war.

Ray

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
934 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

Honestly, most of downtown Gatlinburg is a tourist trap but I do believe that your family would enjoy Ripley's Aquarium. It's educational as well as entertaining, for all ages.

Definitely must do the Roaring Fork Motor Trail, as previously mentioned.

6. Re: Pregnant in the Smoky's--What can you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2015