We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
282 reviews
Save Topic
How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

Are you still planning on going on your trip or will you cancel? The number one reason we like to go to the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area is because of the National Park. We spend probably 80% of our time in the park.

We were planning a trip in late October, but have not booked a cabin or hotel yet. I guess we will play it by ear for now.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

BryanBe: "Great SMOKY Mountains National Park...

National Forests and National Parks are very different things."

Since there's no Great Smoky Mountains National Forest, I think we all knew what Kim was referring to. And since it's her family's first visit, I think we can forgive her a bit of confusion between Smoky & Smokey. You should have heard the laughter when I stopped & asked for directions to SEEVERVILLE the first time I visited. ;)

Phil Campbell...
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

There is still so much to see and do not only in Gatlinburg but Pigeon Forge and Cherokee as well. The Smoky Mts. cover so much area that you can see a lot of its beauty just in driving across to Cherokee. While in Gatlinburg, you can take the tram or the chair lift to more elevated areas and still see the fall foliage. Don't let the shut down "shut" you down. I've been going to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Cherokee every year at least once for over 48 years and don't plan on missing a year in the future, good Lord willing. There are still hundreds of things I haven't done yet but plan on doing in the Smoky Mts.

Edited: 12:18 pm, October 07, 2013
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

I know a few folks that still call it "Seever"ville, and they've been visiting the area for 50 years..

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

It's funny; a lot of little towns have weird pronunciations and are defensive about them. My dad was stopped for speeding in Otto, NC. When the policeman gave him the ticket, dad read the name as "Otto" (similar to otter), and the policeman sternly corrected him. The correct pronunciation was "Oto" (similar to Dorothy's little dog, Toto).

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
894 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

Sevierville......is pronounced severe-ville as in "severe weather" right? I think that's how I heard someone pronounce it when we were down there this summer, but I never knew if it was right or not.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
486 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

We don't care if you call it Pigeon Fort, Gatlinsburg, Seaversville, Dollyland, etc. We just appreciate all the people that come year after year and feel like our little piece of heaven is their home away from home. This area is fortunate to have so many things to do and see and share with others. As some one who works in the Hospitality industry here, I am thankful for the opportunities this area provides us and our tourists.

It is sad that not all the offerings our National Park has will be on display during the Shutdown, but our Southern Hospitality and the great people will be.

Edited: 1:30 pm, October 09, 2013
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

RoadTripfromIL: "Sevierville......is pronounced severe-ville as in "severe weather" right? I think that's how I heard someone pronounce it when we were down there this summer, but I never knew if it was right or not."

You're correct. It's severe-ville, like severe weather. And most of the locals pronounce the last syllable as "vl", not "vill". So it's suh-veer'-vl...or something like that. ;)

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

Actually, the shut down has opened a new aspect to G'burg for us in that we are stuck with these days, like it or not, so we researched things to do in the area as if the park didn't exist. I've been going there since 1952 and cann't believe how much we've not visited in the area, mainly because we always centered everything on the park.

Open your browsers and search tourism websites in that area and you'll be amazed what's down there outside the park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. Re: How will the Govt.Shutdown impact your plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 11, 2014