We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carver's or Apple Barn?

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
310 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Carver's or Apple Barn?

which do you prefer?

United States
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Carver's for us! Loved the drive, the food & service, the views are magnificent, and the farmers market had everything we could want as far as apple's, pumpkins, watermelons etc. We love to visit the Apple Barn, but we will never eat there again. Rude service, bad food, equals no money from me.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Applebarn is not the same as it once was. Carvers is not a fancy place, but the food is delish and plentiful. The only problem is that it is off the beaten path, not in PF or Gatlinburg, but a pretty drive none the less. If I had to pick, I would pick Carvers, cheaper and just as good. They usually have a daily special which is a really good deal. Check out the farmers market and the candy store.

Amory, Mississippi
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

We like Carver's for the food, service, apple vineyard views, scenic drive, and the produce market.

On our last visit to Apple Barn the food was good, but that is all they offer...good food.

After your meal, drive on through to Douglas Dam. Just past that land mark is "The Dam Store". We laughed and laughed at the sign!

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Concur with Carver's.

Apple Barn was really a great place to dine until it went corporate several years back. Then it lost it's appeal and tastes as a local dining venue in order to operate several establishments. Simply put, it is now just one of several chain type places. We sadly no longer even consider it an option.

Carvers is to a lesser extent what the Apple Barn was when it opened in the 80's. The sales stable next to the dining venue is nice to visit with fair prices.

Norwood, OH
Level Contributor
426 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Oh no, don't say it's so about Apple Barn. We are headed down next week and didn't get to stop when we were there 2 years ago. That's usually our must do. So where is this Carver's?

Wilder, KY
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

If you liked apple barn 2 years ago, you'll still like it. I understand some of the comments about service and going corporate, but we still think the food is really good for a great price. And we typically still get good service. Maybe not the family feel it had years ago, but still one of our favorites.

United States
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Carver's is located in Cosby, out 321. Search Carver's Applehouse, Cosby, Tn. to read reviews & see pictures. Yes, it is out of the way. But, we enjoy the drive & if you go for lunch they have some pretty awesome lunch prices! Reviews & opinions are subjective. You will never get people to agree on which is "best". But, having said that, I don't think you will be disappointed in your visit to Carver's. And, for my family...it's Carver's hands down!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
310 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

thank you so much for your replies. We are going to go for Carver's. We are thinking about going to Cataloochee afterwards. Has anybody ever done this trip?

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

Yes. Consider going early if you are going during September or October during the "rut" season as it very crowded. Last season the GSMNP had several volunteer rangers directing the traffic flow.

Strongly consider going early then return to Cosby for supper at Carver's. Take a picnic with you to Cataloochee.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
310 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carver's or Apple Barn?

thanks for that info. That is something to consider.Although the earliest I could see us being there is 10 a.m. since we have a small child. Is there a route to take from Gatlinburg straight to Cataloochee or would we still go through Cosby?