We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas trip for first timer

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas trip for first timer

I am considering a Christmas vacation with DH and 17 yr old son Is this a good time of year for a visit? What is there to do ?

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
964 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

The Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area is well decorated throughout the Christmas season and is a popular time to visit. Dollywood and other attractions have special Christmas shows. Ride the Tram to Ober Gatlinburg for ice skating and other activities. Late December is also a great time to visit the National Park - possibly even snow at upper elevations such as Newfound Gap.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

The thing that I like most about the winter, is that the views of the mountains are very different then. With all of the leaves off the trees, all of the mountain ridges can be seen.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

There is tons to do at anytime. It is beautiful at Christmas with the town decorated. As said above Ober would be fun to snow tube and ski or like us you could just watch and sip hot chocolate. In pigeon forge there are shows you could see that all have a Christmas theme. We visit at thanksgiving and there is no better way to get us in the Christmas spirit. I would recommend a drive into the park to the roaring fork or Cade's cove to see wildlife and history.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

The towns of Gat/burg & Pig/forge will be all lit-up at night with Christmas decorations and lighting displays. In Pig/forge especially, the mountainside will be all lit up with huge mountain type or cabin murals. The park is a magical place to visit any time of year. Plus the long distant mountain views are more visable with all the trees being bare.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

Gatlinburg is one of the best places to visit at Christmas Time. The lighting along the parkway is second to none. There is a parade each year, and you will have to check the site to find out when it is as I do not know at this time. The parade is usually busy with all the visitors. Many stay downtown during this period as parking is a premium and very scarce.

Expect the weather to be crisp and cool probably down in the low 30's at evening time and early morning. All the leaves would have fallen so the fall colors will be mostly gone. There are ample sites along the way, shops to visit and browse and the leisure pace is the best way to encounter it all.

Hope the weather cooperates and your visit a dandy.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

Hello Arkansas: Well, I just looked into the Gatlinburg Winter Schedule of Events and found that the annual Christmas Parade for this year will be held on Friday December 6th. So, and that time of the year is busy as you might imagine, if you plan to be there during the Christmas Holidays, you might want to find out the availability of wherever you plan to stay, if downtown and the sooner the better.

Lots of luck in your planning and hope the weather cooperates.

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

Thanks for the information. Would you have suggestions on the best location to rent a cabin in case of winter weather. I have a 4 wheel drive, but would rather stay someplace closer into town just in case of slippery roads.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

Depends on what you are looking for in a cabin. There are a lot of companies advertised on the local tourism sites or you can check out VRBO. I rented one through VRBO very reasonable.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
91 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

I also use VRBO and Homeaway. These are sites that list rentals by owner. I prefer to rent though them rather than a rental company. To me it is better to deal directly with the owner. I am traveling to the mountains Oct and Dec this year and booked both through Homeaway.

10. Re: Christmas trip for first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, September 15, 2014