We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chair Lift Selection

Southern Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chair Lift Selection

Can anyone compare the chair lift experience at Ober Gatlinburg with the SkyLift Gatlinburg? We want to do the Aerial Tram at Ober and were thinking about doing the SkyLift Gatlinburg, but I'm wondering if we should just do the chair lift at Ober since we'll be right there. Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the two scenic chairlifts? We will be there next week. Thanks!

Highland, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chair Lift Selection

The sky lift in G'Burg gives nice views of the city. I like it around dusk as the lights are coming on but still light enough to see the mountains in the background. I've never taken the Ober lift all the way up as we always got off about halfway to ride the bobsleds. My guess is the view from the top would be similar to a good view from Clingman's dome or some of the other locations along Newfound gap. I'm not sure how much of Gatlinburg you will see from there.

Level Contributor
1,313 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chair Lift Selection

Both views are ok but you can basically drive your car up to the top at either location for free and see the same view.

Campbell Lead Rd goes right past the upper terminal of Sky Lift and Ski View Dr goes just above the top of the Ober chair lift..

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chair Lift Selection

I personally like the Sky Lift better. The views on either are great, but the tram is enclosed and feels like riding an elevator. I like the open bench of the Sky Lift.

Indiana
Level Contributor
579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chair Lift Selection

The chair lift at Ober seems a lot steeper to me and the views at the top are beautiful. We go to the top and then on the way down, take the Alpine Slide - they are lots of fun. The one in Gatlinburg has the beautiful views of the city. They are different and both are great.

5. Re: Chair Lift Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gatlinburg