We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

My parents and family will be in Gatlinburg next weekend to celebrate their 50th Anniversary where they went on their honeymoon. Are there any businesses/points of interest/landmarks in existence now that would have been there 50 years ago? Thanks!

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

Maybe some of the buildings lites1- 5... Chairlift? Call the chamber, bet they could help. I know a few little cottage motel places are still open up off Baskins Creek Rd. that were going back then. Maybe the Trout House, lite 3/4?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

Gatlinburg Inn, Ol Smoky Candy Kitchen (across from Gatlinburg Inn), Sky Lift Chairlift (at Gatlinburg Inn), Hillbilly Village (Pigeon Forge) all come to mind. The truth is very little has not changed in one way or another. Some of the older buildings are still standing but the original business in that location has long since been gone. Likewise a few of the older businesses have relocated several times.

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

How exciting!! Congratulations to them both!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

The national park is still there. Have them go enjoy it. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

Very cool. We celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary back in 2001 In Gatlinburg. The whole family came down and we stayed in cabins and had a huge dinner it was great. It was right after 9 11 so it was really special.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot that was there back then that is still around today. The Gatlinburg Inn is still around. Luckily the National Park is pretty much the same..

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

As someone stated earlier, (and beat me to my thought) the national park is there, and probably was 50 years back. That's about the only thing that you can still count on.

Ray

7. Re: 50 Years or more in Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 12, 2014