We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sites and food

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Topic
Sites and food

Will be going to Gatlinburg Thurs-Sun. What are some of the "can't miss" sites. More interested in natural ones but wuldlike more info on anything Also interested in doing plenty of hiking. Only rule for the trip is no eating in any chain restaurants. What are best places for breakfast, lunch, dinner or any little hole in the wall bar?

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sites and food

We like the Old Mill and Mel's in Pigeon Forge for breakfast and Hogs & Honeys on the strip in Gatlinburg for drinks. On the do not miss list..Clingman's Dome (even the view from the parking lot is something to see). Roaring Fork, Cades Cove and Laurel Falls.

Highland, Illinois
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sites and food

Our favorite is the Roaring Forks. The ride to Clingman's dome has beautiful views(hint:if it is cloudy or hazy when you get there save the walk to the top since the clouds may cover much of the view). Cades Cove will consume a lot of time so if you are interested in a lot of hiking you may want to save that area for another trip. The same goes for whitewater rafting. It's a lot of fun but you'll need to allow about a half day for it.

For dining we hit the Pancake Pantry every trip. The Mountain Lodge is an excellent cafe. We also like the Old Mill and Hungry Bear BBQ. The Peddler has good steaks. It is owned by a regional group but I don't consider it a chain. Though I've not eaten there, Hoggs and Honeys is a great place to people watch if you can get a balcony seat . The Sherlock Holmes has a good outdoor atmosphere for drinks and dining.

Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sites and food

We're not impressed with The Old Mill, but we have visited the cafe across the street multiple times during single trips. Get cupcakes at Cakes By Bakin Bishop. Roaring Fork is our favorite drive. Your should at least visit the parking lot of Clingman's Dome. Have a picnic at Metcalf Bottoms or Chimney's Picnic areas and play in the stream. Pull off for some scenic overlooks. Cade's Cove gets boring (unless you see a bear!). The Aquarium is great and Hillbilly Golf is charming and different than other putt putt courses. I HATE driving thru Gatlinburg and avoid it when possible. We've enjoyed Sugarlands horseback riding. Cabin time is great on a rainy day (hot tub and games!). Dollywood has awesome rides. Have fun!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sites and food

Drive from Indy was easy except traffic in Pigeon Forge. Stayed at the Fabulous Chalet Inn in Gatlinburg which near the end of the strip closest to the Great Smokies Mt Park entrance. Rooms were clean. Here is a tip though. Ask for one of the rooms at the top of the hill. The street level rooms have a view of the river (and the back of another hotel) but drive about 300 more feet and the upper rooms have a great view of the mountains (room 110) plus there is a nice pool up there which is far less crowded and secluded than the lower one. Has all kinds of butterflies and hummingbirds hitting the vines while we sat outside or room, and YES a bear walked right past us about 10ft away. Didn;t really want to encounter one that close but it just strolled by and I don;t think it even saw us. THAT made my trip. Lots of shops on the strip. Went to the FREE moonshine tasting at Ole Smokey Moonshine. Our bartender, Gary, made for an entertaining session. Tried 12 different kinds. Spent at least an hour three nights OUTSIDE Ripley's Haunted Adventure. The guy "inside the box" was hilariousas he made fun of people (in anice way) and scared them as they walked by (you can see a pic of him on their brochures, the guy in the top hat) A great band playing on the street was Whiskey Bent Valley. Playing mountain music they impressed me enough to buy one of their CD's. In the park drove thru Cades Cove. Beautiful and peaceful. All and all it was a nice trip. A little to commercialized in G Burg but loved the park and the mountains and would consider a return trip. I bet the fall leaves are spectacular there

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sites and food

If you happen to venture into the Townsend community, I'd definitely recommend the FRONT PORCH or BACK PORCH restaurant. ( I forget which) They definitely are not a chain type restaurant. They ARE polite,pleasent and the food is good at reasonably low prices.

Ray

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
505 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sites and food

Fox and Parrot in the Arts and Crafts community. 3 Jimmys at one of then entrances to the Arts and Crafts community. Sherlock Holmes Pub in downtown Gatlinburg. Mountain Lodge for breakfast and lunch.

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sites and food

Doughnut Friar and Best Italian for food! We also enjoyed visiting the Titanic Museum . Great for all ages.

18. Re: Sites and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 11, 2014