We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollywood or Splash Country

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Dollywood or Splash Country

Has anyone ever been to Dollywood or Splash Country in Tennessee? If so what did you think? Any tips?

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We have been to both. We didn't really care for Dollywood b/c in my opinion there are no "family" rides. They are either thriller rides or kiddie rides. Myself and my daughter do not like thriller rides and for her the kiddie rides were boring (too kiddie). So for Dollywood, it really depends on if you and your family like thriller rides or not!?! We loved Splash Country!! Tons of family rides, we were even able to ride as a family in the same raft on many rides!! We will definately be back to Splash Country!!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We've spent a lot of time at both parks, and we really love both, but Dollywood is our favorite. You can get wet at Dollywood if you want, or you can see a show, or ride rollercoasters...whatever you want.

I'd have to, respectfully, disagree with the above post. There are many things for a family to do together, including Blazing Fury, Daredevil Falls, the train around the park, River Battle, River Rampage, etc. It just depends on what you like. I don't necessarily like to get wet on every ride, but sometimes it's fun.

Silver City, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

Have not been to Splash Country, but we love Dollywood. There is so much more than rides. The shows are all great and plenty of shopping and rides for all ages. I spend hours in Dolly's Chasing Rainbows museum.

I guess it depends on which you prefer to do.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We prefer Dollywood. Splash Country is just a water park whereas DW has all the above mentioned elements

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We really liked Dollywood, and we're also a family that doesn't do thrill rides (except for dh). We found plenty to do to fill a day and a half. We also enjoyed a few of the shows and eating at a couple of the restaurants.

We didn't do Splash Country, my reasoning being that it probably wasn't much different than a typical waterpark.

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
28 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

I love splash country! Not really a fan of dolly wood, but it really depends on you, if you enjoy spending all in the water.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We like both.....

Yes, they are different!

Anyhow, please, nobody ever recommend blazing fury!!!

Is that still even operating?

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

I'm with BradMac, We love Dollywood and always get season tickets, there is lots of things to do together . We love the shows especially during the Christmas season. I'm not a thriller rides person either but hubby is and we still enjoy lots of things together.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We normally buy season passes for Dollywood. We tried Splash Country season passes one year, but my boys didn't enjoy it due to the long lines/waits for rides. They would wait 30-45 minutes for most rides that would last 4-5 minutes. After going that summer, we never went back. It was super hot and the amount of time spent waiting in lines just wasn't worth it to us. There is a lazy river and pool that you can get in at any time, but both were extremely crowded the days we went. We much prefer Dollywood. Also, if you get a season pass at Dollywood, you can go there different seasons though out the year vs. just having the warm summer months for the amount of money you spent on the pass for Splash Country.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollywood or Splash Country

We've been to both, we take the Grandkids to Splash Country when they come down to visit. Unless you can pick a quiet day to go to them (usually Fridays and Sundays are the slower days at Dollywood) there are going to be some pretty long lines at both. They have the new water coaster at Splash (another 1st in the U.S.) that I'm sure is going to increase attendance there this year like the Wild Eagle coaster did for Dollywood last year. We really enjoy the shows more than the rides and the atmosphere seems to be more laid back and relaxing at Dollywood. I'm sure you'll have a great time at either, enjoy you vacation in the Smoky's.