We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

Just wondered how bad the crowds will be during the Shades of Past & Rod Run car shows which are held the 1st & 2nd weekend of September? We will be camping in Elkmont the first weekend and will be visiting Gatlinburg during that time. We have been to the area during 4th of July a couple years ago. Is traffic as bad as that? Just wondered so we can plan what we will do that weekend.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

The worst traffic is in Pigeon Forge, by far, during the car shows in September. Since many of the car show enthusiasts tend to cruise the parkway or hang around the cars, I think Gatlinburg is spared from the worst of the crowds. I was there last September during the shows and Gatlinburg was busy but not crazy like it is in October. That's a whole different kind of busy IMHO.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

It's been a couple of years since we visited for the Shades of the Past but I think you will be ok as long as you plan to stay in Gburg. I would recommend you find some where to park and then just plan on walking around. The spur and PF is going to be very congested.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

We have been attending The Shades show for many years. The crowds are heavier in PF. The bulk of the crowd starts arriving on Thursday and peak on Saturday. Gatlinburg has lots of people but nowhere the crowds at PF.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
473 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

I second the above, if you come in on Friday it's not too bad getting through Pigeon Forge. Once we get through PF we don't go back, just stay in Gatlinburg & the park. Traffic not too bad in Gatlinbirg, certainly nothing like Fourth of July.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

Thanks everyone. We are looking forward to September. Hope there will be a little changing of the leaves altho I know its way too early then.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
34 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

If you stay in Gatlinburg...get on one of the Trams and take it to Pigeon Forge...at least you wont have to drive in "that" traffic!!! It is so so so slow...how slow is it...well the last time we went to the Shades of the Past we were stuck so long in the traffic I got out while my husband was driving...went into Tony Romas for take out lunch, got it, and when I got back to our car it had only moved about five car lengths!! I am not kidding!! The show cars are all parked along the road in the hotels and restaurant parking lots so the 2 right lanes are packed plus there are people selling stuff and now they are having a problem with teen age girls "prostituting"on the streets as well...they city is cracking down on this and is considering not even allowing cars shows any more and there are a lot fewer of the now a days!!! OR what a friend of ours does...he rents a big RV and gets over to Pigeon Forge around 2 or 3 in the morning, finds a restaurant or empty parking lot and parks and then he and his family get some sleep and have a great place to park for the car shows!! He will most likely kill me for telling this but he does it almost every year!!! You just don't want to be driving in Pigeon Forge when there is a car show..at all!!!!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

I have been there on the 4th of July so know traffic can be bad. I have heard even the trolly cant get thru either. We have booked a hotel near the Old Mill so will be in the thick of things. We just won't be able to leave! We are not bringing our show car as we don't want to have to deal with worrying about it. We have learned at other car shows to Get there Early! Will just have to deal with it. Thanks for the tips tho.

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
28 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

Traffic is worse the. Any other time during car shows, the parkway is more a parking lot, then a road, it's awful, it could about 4-5 hours to get from pigeon forge to Gatlinburg.

9. Re: Crowds during 1st week September when cars shows are in PF?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, June 26, 2014