We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Apr 10-13

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Apr 10-13

Day 1

We arrived in Gatlinburg at 3 pm, checked in at the chalet rental office (Mt Laurel), and up the mountain to our chalet. We have stayed in the same chalet several times, so directions were no problem at all. We unpacked and then headed to Food City to get something to grill for supper and munchies, drinks, etc. Came back to the chalet and fixed the food (burgers, potato salad, salad) and then headed into town. Walked the strip up and down. The town was almost deserted! I suppose after Spring Break the crowds thin out, and we had no trouble walking around, into shops, etc. Stopped in Donut Friar, but it was then about 8 pm and they had almost nothing left, so we didn't buy a thing (That was a first!!)

Day 2

My husband wanted to play golf, so I dropped him off at the Gatlinburg Golf Course and headed to Five Oaks outlets to shop. Didn't really find any bargains, but I did pick up a few "necessities" :) I stopped at a few more outlets on the way back to pick up husband, and it was getting hot out, so I turned on the air in the car. No luck, it wouldn't even come on! GRRRR. All I brought were sweaters to wear, so back to Five Oaks to find a short sleeved top or two.

When I picked up husband at golf course, we went back to the chalet to freshen up, then we went into Pigeon Forge and ate at Wood Grill Buffet. I am not usually a buffet kind of person, but I thought it was pretty good. The pot roast was excellent. After supper we drove the long way around down Wears Valley Rd into Townsend and then back to Gatlinburg. Pretty drive.

Day 3

This was supposed to be our hiking day, but husband was sore from golf since he hasn't played all winter, so we decided to hike the next day instead, and we drove over to Cherokee to Harrah's. If I had realized that it was that far around on I 40, I am sure we wouldn't have wasted the whole day! Oh well, the drive was nice, but by now we are both tired of being in the car!!

On the way back to Gatlinburg, we stopped in Carver's Apple Orchard in Cosby for a late lunch/early supper. Excellent food as always, their fried chicken is the best.

Back in Gatlinburg, we stopped downtown and walked around for an hour or so. Had to try the Moonshine samples, since other times we have been there the lines are too long. I am making a note to self to mark my calendar for the week after Spring Break as an excellent time to go to G'burg because the crowds have thinned out.

Day 4

Got up early and got ready to go hiking. For some reason neither of us was that excited, I think because we had wanted to hike Chimney Tops trail, but it was closed, so we decided to drive up to Newfound Gap and hike to the Jumpoff. It was freezing up there at the parking lot! The wind was pretty strong too, but we headed up the trail. After about 2 miles my husband said he would rather be golfing. Funny, because I wan't really enjoying myself as I usually do either. So, we headed back down, cleaned up at the chalet and I dropped him at Bent Creek Golf course.

I went to the Arts & Crafts Loop. Bought a mug and soup mug at Alewine, and had fun just poking around other shops without the crazy crowds. I had a couple of nice conversations with artisans, and enjoyed the day.

I had no cell phone coverage in the area, which was a first, so I headed back to the golf course since husband couldn't call me when he was finished. I was early, but enjoyed just sitting looking at the scenery while I waited. Later that evening we headed back downtown, ate at Texas Roadhouse, and walked up to the new(er) winery shop and bought a bottle of wine to bring home. Back to the chalet to rest up and pack for our trip home.

Headed home

Always sad to leave, always wish we could stay longer. Next weekend is the time the hot rods are in Pigeon Forge, and they are already claiming parking spots along the Parkway, so we got a chance to see quite a few on our way home, which is always fun.

Arrived home safely, and now reality is setting in ..... :(

Edited: 10:57 pm, April 14, 2013
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

Thanks for the trip report. It sounds like it was a good week.

The important question is: Did you win at Harrah's?

United States
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

My son loves to play golf & did so last year at the Sevierville Golf Club. Please ask hubby which of the two he played at, would he consider the best. "Son" is a novice, but the price of his clubs makes him look like a pro! LOL! I enjoyed your report!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

Brad- Let's just say I made a modest donation :( lol

Silly- my husband plays both courses, as well as the one in Sevierville by Wilderness Lodge (can't remember the name of it). He likes them all, but Gatlinburg course is hard to get on without a tee time, and he can almost never get on the one in Sevierville. He has never been turned away at Bent Creek. He says Bent Creek has LOTS of bugs (biting gnats), so be sure to bring bug spray. The Gatlinburg course is very hilly and you have to keep the cart on the path and then walk up hills to play. Usually his choice depends on where I want to shop, because I drop him off and then I have 4-5 hrs till I have to pick him up. If there are a lot of people in town, it's hard for me to do much if I have to get all the way back to Bent Creek. (even though I know the back roads).

United States
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

Thank you for the golf info! My son said he was able to play at the Sevierville club because he called ahead for a tea time. Said it was a beautiful course!

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
857 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

Thank you for the trip report we seldom see one anymore and the best way to stay up to date on the mountains is from the people who have been there recently!

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

Thanks for the report...I enjoy reading them!! Glad you had a great trip!

7. Re: Trip Report Apr 10-13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gatlinburg