We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad idea to wing it?

9 posts
Save Topic
Bad idea to wing it?

My husband and I are coming down April 5-9. We have stayed in PF before as well as cabins in PF and Gatlinburg, but I kind of have my heart set on a hotel in downtown Gatlinburg since I've never really stayed there. Planning is usually the most fun part for me but I have devoted hours of research and cant come up with much as far as the amenities I would like and also that sticks within my budget. I would like to not spend around 300-350 for 4 nights. My husband thinks we should have a spirit of adventure and go down without a reservation and just wing it. Im afraid we will get down there and there will be no vacancies and we will have to go way out of budget just to have a place to sleep! So my question is.......is this really too risky? Will I be able to find something within my budget this way?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
614 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bad idea to wing it?

Our experience has been it's always croweded on the weekends, especially if the weather is great. I would get something ahead of time and not spend hours trying to find a hotel - parking can be a major issue too while searching.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bad idea to wing it?

I guess it would depend on how much time you are willing to spend looking for a place that suits you. Sometimes that's fun and produces a real 'find'. Sometimes we've gotten aggravated driving around for an hour or two when we'd rather be enjoying our vacation. A happy medium would be to make a list of the places you'd like to check out when you get there - saves you from aimless looking and all the things that might put a damper on the 'spirit of adventure' :-)

Edited: 5:14 pm, March 29, 2013
9 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Bad idea to wing it?

Thank you all so much for your help! I have decided to absolutely not "wing it." lol Im still looking into some of the suggestions you guys have put on here. I will be deciding on something and booking it tonight, but time is wasting and the decent hotels are getting scarce! My own fault for procrastinating. Even if the hotel isn't all I want or need Ill still just be so excited to get away and be back in gorgeous TN for awhile!

9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Bad idea to wing it?

Riverhouse motor lodge it is! Thanks for suggesting it!

15. Re: Bad idea to wing it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 01, 2014