We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Vacation... July or August?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Summer Vacation... July or August?

We are planning our first trip to Gatlinburg for this summmer. I'm in the early stages of planning, but from what I am reading on the message boards July seems to be the most popular month to go with the most crowds? We live in Massachusetts, so our kids don't go back to school until September. Would there be less crowds if we went the week of Aug. 12th? Thanks in Advance!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

June and July are definitely the peak months for visitation, followed by October for fall colors. If you can wait until August to visit you will have 30 - 40% less crowds than in June/July.

Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

Most schools in Tenn and Kentucky start back by mid August so you would have way smaller crowds if you went toward the latter part of August.

Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

Most schools in Tenn and Kentucky start back by mid August so you would have way smaller crowds if you went toward the latter part of August.

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

Thanks for the responses. The latest that we would want to go would be Aug. 9th-17th. Would everything still have the same hours during that time as they would in July? Such as Dollywood and the trolly hours etc...?

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

OH and one more question... is the temp. the same in both July and August or is one month better/worse than the other weather wise? Thanks again!

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

the temp. is about the same in July and August not much difference, I think August would be less crowded since most schools will be in session. I know here in eastern Ky. where I live our school starts back the first week of Aug. around the 2nd or 3rd.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

If at all possible, skip july and august and go in sept. You miss all the crowds (except rod run run weekend) and can enjoy it so much more. As well as the heat isn't quite as bad and miserable. I used to take my kids out of school so we could go in sept and they don't frown upon it too much because its considered "educational".

8. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, February 21, 2013
Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

If you have kids in school and don't want them to miss, I would say August. It will still be warm and humid, but if it gets too unbearable, just go into the Smokies and you will be amazed how much cooler it is at higher elevations.

10. Re: Summer Vacation... July or August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014