We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
505 posts
308 reviews
Save Topic
Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

I normally don't post to ask for help choosing a place to stay, as I've planned several trips with help from the TA forums and know it can be annoying to just ask someone else to do the leg work for you.

However this is our first time planning a trip like this (not at a hotel, staying in a cabin, etc) and I have spent HOURS over the past several days researching on TA, reading reviews, going to websites, etc. and I am overwhelmed with the choices. I was hoping for some personal experience staying in specific cabins.

Here are our must-haves:

-mountain view. This is non-negotiable

-1 BR or 2 BR (it's just my husband and me)

-hot tub outside

-CLEAN! So many promising places worried me because the reviews on here said they were dirty

-driveable in a non 4WD vehicle, which we don't have. I know the roads are steep as it's in the mountains. Is it any worse that the steep streets in San Fran? We were able to drive those in a sedan.

-We would like some seclusion and privacy. We don't mind if other cabins are somewhat nearby but would like to not be on top of someone and not have them restrict our views

Budget: no more than $180/night preferably (staying in high season-July) but could go up to $200/night

Has anyone stayed in a cabin that fit these guidelines? We would also prefer a cabin that has all wood on the inside, a pool table, and doesn't look terribly dated, but those are preferences, not must-haves.

1. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:59 am, June 06, 2013
North Carolina
Level Contributor
556 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

http://www.vrbo.com/200050

We stayed here Christmas 2011 and fell in love with the cabin! We hope to return again soon! The owners were more than wonderful to work with and everything had that personal touch. I have rented from a cabin company before too and had a great experience but fell in love with this particular cabin so I highly recommend it!

McArthur, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

There is also Chickadee with Mountain Rentals. A really cute 2 bdr. Stayed there a couple years ago and we had 2 bear cubs visit!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
505 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

That VRBO cabin looks amazing! I'm going to check into that further.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have looked into the following:

HearthSide Rentals

Fireside Chalets

Pioneer Rental Company

Chalet Villages

Jackson Mountain Homes

and others I can't remember

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these companies? For many of them, the reviews on here are mixed

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

I used Jackson Mountain Homes three years in a row and have been very pleased with them. The cabins I stayed in were clean and comfortable with beautiful mountain views and the photos online were exactly like the real thing. The office staff has always been very nice and very helpful, too. Hoping to come back down there this Spring and will book with them again. I like staying in the Arts and Crafts area or Black Bear Falls. The cabins in Black Bear Falls are somewhat close but I didn't feel like I was right on top of the other cabins.

Good luck with your cabin search!

Mentioned in this post
Black Bear Inn & Suites
Black Bear Inn & Suites
717 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

check out

www.hiddenmountain.com

the east cabins are about 1 mile from the parkway behind the Applebarn and you don't need to have a 4wheel drive for them. we have stayed here for years and have always been VERY HAPPY with every stay, the cabins are beautiful and always very clean and well stocked.

I hope this helps, I have already booked for June, I can't wait

North Baltimore...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

We stayed in Bare Snugglin' with Hearthside cabin rentals. Great view. Two full baths. You can see other cabins, but it's pretty private. Hearthside is very helpful with everything. We were there in early October last year.

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

We will be staying in "Simply Irresistible" the end of the month with Hearthside rentals. I believe with these companies it is hit or miss. Each of the cabin communities have cabins within that are managed by many different rental companies. Our cabin is within the Shagbark Resort community and VRBO also has some there as well. We wanted all the same things you. I believe we found what we were looking for, I hope you are able to as well.

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

We will be staying in "Simply Irresistible" the end of the month with Hearthside rentals. I believe with these companies it is hit or miss. Each of the cabin communities have cabins within that are managed by many different rental companies. Our cabin is within the Shagbark Resort community and VRBO also has some there as well. We wanted all the same things you. I believe we found what we were looking for, I hope you are able to as well.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please! Overwhelmed w/ cabin choices.

About the roads:

All paved roads in the area that we have traveled are accessible by the smaller vehicles, as long as the vehicle is in proper running condition and you have good tread on your tires. (this of course excludes winter conditions).

If the road is particularly steep, and/or wet, drop into a lower gear and slowly crawl while not spinning the tires. This is easily accomplished with little practice.

I say this because like you, we are always searching foe cabins with the best views. Most times you'll have to make a climb in your vehicle to get to these. In the worst wet conditions, (pouring rain, wet leaves etc,...), we've learned to handle these roads in a 2WD vehicle, and it was a rear wheel drive. Front wheels drives should function even better if handled properly.

Many times I've sat on the check of our cabin hearing people spinning tires trying to navigate steep switchbacks with speed. You see their tire marks on the road surface. Again, just drop it into low gear and crawl up the mountain. It'll save your tires, and your nerves :-)