We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
T H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

I am looking for suggestions for planning my trip to Galtinburg. I have read previous posted comments and found them useful. My group:

My parents (age 60)

2 -4 adults (30-40)

2 kids (age 11 and 12)

My parents WILL NOT drive around the mountain, so I thought that being within walking distance would be advantageous. I’ve been to Gatlinburg 3 times. We are definitely cabin people. I think my preference is a cabin within walking distance of the action. A lodge with a shuttle to downtown might be good?

Any suggestions on lodging? Not necessarily a specific cabin but cabins in a specific area or a lodge that might meet our needs.

We are looking for beginner ski lessons, assuming you can learn something in 4 days. So proximity to Ober Gatlinburg lift is a plus.

We want to fish, preferably NOT catch and release, so if this is possible information on that is appreciated.

We are going in April.

Thanks for your help!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

Usually April is fairly warm for the Gatlinburg area. We were married up there this year (middle of April) and everything was in bloom or done bloomed. Several cabin rentals in the area too. Try these: www.yourcabin.com www.vrbo.com I know Sunset Cottage has some chalets in Gatlinburg but don't know if they would be big enough (bedrooms) for your family. www.sunsetcottage.com There is several rentals in what they call "Chalet Village" but I don't know about walking to downtown Gatlinburg from this area. I'm sure some have but I don't think I would.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

April - great time to visit, but may be a little late for skiing lessons unless there is an unusual amount of snowfall this year. Annual maintenance at Ober is scheduled to begin 23 April, so definitely nothing after that date. Catch and Filet fishing season in Gatlinburg starts April 1 so you have timed that well. - fishing regs here: gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/…fishing.aspx. At ages 11 and 12 your kids won't need a license. Check out Herbert Holt park for fishing for the kids - right next to the hatchery. Fishing early or late usually is your best bet. Suggest a small hook with small sinker on 4LB line with orange or rainbow power bait for the kids. Worms also work, corn, etc.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

My wife and I just returned from what we consider an "extended vacatuion". (eight days) We rented a pretty new cabin in the Wears Valley area. The nightly rate was considerably less than what I'd been expectuing. It was located on a twistie mountainside road....great for seclusion. This cabin would pass anyones most critical "check-off" list for desireabilitys....a huge wrap around deck about 70 feet eleviated...a jaccuzzi, and 2 grills. 1 charcoal & 1 gas grill. This is V. R.B.O. cottage, so if you're interested PM me and I'll get back at you.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
156 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

We went the first week of April this year we wore shorts and a T shirts. The only thing to watch out for in April is spring break. Cabins are a great way to go ive used Cabinsforyou.com and had great luck there website gives you a map of the location. Close cabins they have(dependiing on price) are YOGI, HACIENDA, A RIVER SONG, THE VINSON, BEARADISE. Emilys Joy is another good one. If you call there staff is real friendly and helpful. Just depends on how many end up going. We plan going May 1st. We went the first week of MAY years ago and it wasnt real busy. This years trip over easter got busy friday thru sunday. Also Jackson Mountain Homes had nice places but they were more expensive. Hope this helps a little.

T H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

Thanks for the info on cabinsforyou.com. Having a map will help with finding something as close as possible to downtown.

Thanks!

T H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

Thanks for the information on the catch and filet fishing! I called ober gatlinburg and they said that skiing in April is highly unlikely.

I really appreciate the help!

7. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:36 am, December 15, 2012
8. Re: Looking for lodging, and other suggestions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 17, 2013