We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

star gazing

Belle River, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
star gazing

Now that the 'crisp" fall weather is arriving, I was wondering how the star gazing in the area is. Are there places away from the light pollution, maybe in an upper elevation that are good for taking a telescope? Any observatories in the area? Any tipw would be appreciated. Thanks

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: star gazing

The parking lot at Clingman's Dome would be a good spot. I am not sure of any areas that are secluded without having to hike in the dark. There are also some good pullouts along Newfound Gap.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: star gazing

I concur with Newfound Gap. Never knew some many stars and planets existed until I drove up there one night at midnight. With no one around, it was magical.

Clingman's Dome parking lot is a little more remote if Newfound is busy. Or any of the pulloffs along the CD road.

Should have been magnificent under the meteor shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TN
Level Contributor
120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: star gazing

Cades Cove is great too. I've lived here for awhile, but the amount of stars still impress me!

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: star gazing

Clingmans Dome is a must for star gazing. Bring a jacket could be chilly up there at night.

5. Re: star gazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 27, 2013