We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does a typical trip cost you?

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much does a typical trip cost you?

I am trying to convince my husband that we can take a short 4ish day trip to the mountains this fall. He says we should save up to enjoy our time more.

So, I was just curious about how much a typical trip to the mountains costs you? (incl. gas, hotel/cabin/ etc?)

Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

Depends on if you'll cook or eat out and when you actually visit. 7-10 days generally costs me $2,500-4,000 inclusive of cabin, gas (from Hilton Head, SC), and all meals at restaurants.

Edited: 8:39 pm, October 16, 2011
Haubstadt IN
Level Contributor
339 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

We travel from southern Indiana, about 6 hour drive & always stay in a cabin. Sometimes we stay for 4 nights at Thanksgiving & other trips are a full week, 7 nights, in the summer. Both trip lengths end up costing us about the same because of the higher rates for the cabin over the holiday weekend. We usually plan on $2000-2500 & return home with $500-ish. We do hit the outlet mall though. :) We bring groceries for big breakfasts in our cabin then eat dinner out every evening. We spend alot of our time in the park so we don't spend alot on the tourist-y attractions.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

Yikes....you all spend so much money! I am a budget vacationer. For a long weekend trip, I would spend no more than $1,000 total. There are some great fairly inexpensive nice hotels to save money...or check with a vrbo to see if they can give you a great rate. Bring breakfast and lunches with, or eat cheap during the day, go out at night, but watch spending. Minimize shopping, or touristy things. Spend time in the Park..it's free! Set small budget for spending money. Enjoy a nice show in the evening, or simply walk along the Parkway. If getting a cabin, cook meals in, eat out nice dinner one night.

Trips are as extravagant as you make them. Gas is a given, luckily prices are down now which is great! Room/board..shop around, decide which is best for your needs/budget. Stop at Welcome Center for coupons for food, entertainment, shops, etc.

My break down for a couple for an inexpensive trip for 3-4 nights would look like this:

Room/cabin/hotel $400

Gas $200

Food $200

Spending money $200

Total $1,000

memories in the mountains...priceless! =)

We are going later this month and named our price with a vrbo for $600 total..for 4 nights, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, amazing view, close to town, that includes no cleaning fees and taxes. If you only need 1 bedroom, I'm sure you can get that price down, and even more so if only going for 3 nights.

For cheaper trips, I get a hotel...prices range from $45 to $89 for the hotels I use...Maples Motor Inn (Pigeon Forge-older, but decent and clean)

Jack Huffs, and Mountain House Motor Inn in Gatlinburg..close to everything, no need to pay to park anywhere.

Edited: 9:29 pm, October 16, 2011
paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

We take a 3 day trip and our hotel, gas (which is cheaper there than in my town) eating out and doing a little shopping is around 400.00. and we live 3 1/2 hours away. And we do eat out at a good place once a day in the evenings, but it is cheaper to have your big meal at lunch and get the better prices but I just like to go in the evenings it's better for us. you can also order pizza and have it delivered to your room., sometimes that fun.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

I love the area, in order to get to go I can go very cheap. I could even pack a cooler and eat the free breakfast at the hotel then have stuff in the room for sandwiches and then grill out or something cheap like Wendy's. Hey if I want to go I can save money any way I can think of. I'm a cheap person but I have to have a nice place to stay, we always stay at Park Grove Inn in Pigeon Forge and it's the best hotel we have stayed at. But once a year we do spend our vacation in a cabin. but for just the small trips we stay at Park Grove Inn. hope this helps. and I hope you get to go on your trip.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

I spend too much, but we sacrifice quite a bit to enjoy our trips to the mountains. We rarely go to movies or eat at restaurants. I always do my errands while coming and going from work to save gas, as well as condensing opportunities to spend on extra trips to the grocery. We are using the library more instead of going to bookstores. I find sales, use travel perks, and try to make the best deal possible on a cabin rental.

When in the mountains, we keep trail mix and snack bars along with us, so we don't buy expensive lunches. Breakfast is usually at the cabin, or some fruit or something along the way out in the morning. Picnics in the national park are always fun and inexpensive. We eat at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner at an establishment while on vacation.

I talked to a financial counselor once, and he asked me what percentage of my income I thought should be spent on entertainment, and I told him about 5%. He then told me it should be 15-20 %. I was floored. Ever since then I've decided to live a little bit, and not worry so much. Come what may, I'm going to find a way to get my mountain fix. I work hard, and I need the reward.

Western Europeans take an average of 5-6 weeks per year of vacation. I think Americans take 2-3. While I enjoy being an American, I think we still have much to learn from other cultures. We are driven to not only pay bills, but to build wealth. I like wealth as much as anyone, but I'm not sacrificing my entire life, health, and happiness for it.

So in short, I spend at least two weeks a year in the Smokies, and I'm going to continue to do this as long as God is willing to allow it, no matter what it costs :-)

Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

My husband and I just returned from a five night six day trip and spent a little less than $1000.00. We camped one night in the national park and spent 4 nights in a hotel that I have booked on line this summer and got a great rate. We enjoy the GSMNP and spend most of our time there. We do not care for the dinner shows or most other tourist attractions. We had a mini refrigerator and microwave in our hotel room and took food with us. We enjoy eating breakfast out and this is the cheapest meal. Your major expenses will be gas and hotel rooms, then you can set a meal budget. I love the Smokies and do not have to spend lots of money there to be happy. We stayed at Days Inn on the River in Gatlinburg and had a private balcony overlooking the river. The hotel is not fancy but we found it to be clean, quiet, and comfortable. Also, the hotel rates are cheaper starting in November but everyone says you can still see some fall colors. Hope your trip plan works out for you.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

How many people are in these parties?

Edited: 10:57 pm, October 16, 2011
Bladenboro, North...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

It was just my husband and I .

la la land
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does a typical trip cost you?

Staying 7 nights, we came in under 2k for 2 humans and 2 dogs.The kind of place I would board them would cost me at least in the $400 range where I reside so we save there.

I'm on an ongoing lodging researching hunt, but for the kind of cabin we want, I don't find the prices that different going through VRBO v rental company. We got 35% off the 7 nights plus a $25 return visit discount. There was a small cleaning fee and taxes but I wonder how clean it would be without the fee. They only charged $35 for the non refundable pet fee for both dogs, which was very reasonable and cheaper than many others charge.

Dawg your financial advisor story made me laugh! That's priceless. We do need to live more in the moment.